Sunday, 12 February 2012

Musical Thoughts and that

Has it really been that long since I last blogged?  I am actually surprised by that.

What has happened then since last time?  Not very much if I am being honest.

I am half way through a two week holiday from work at the moment.  Someone at work asked if I was going away and I said that we're not, except for going to my dad's (which we did yesterday).  It is impossible to go away really as financially I have trouble even going visiting because I have to think about whether I can afford the fuel to get to these places.  So I can see us never being able to afford a holiday as things are at the moment.  Put that in your pipe and smoke it Mr Cameron, because you have made things that way!  Tosser!

I have done more work on my music blog since last time we spoke, having started looking at Ringo Starr's début album Sentimental Journey, which is a collection of standards.  Quite apt really considering that McCartney has come out with a album of standards recently.  What is it with all of these people nowadays doing cover albums when they get to be over 60?  I mean the Paul McCartney and Rod Stewart thing, not Ringo because that was back in 1970 when he was 30 (well, a few months later anyway).  Whatever, I know that I will probably end up getting the McCartney album, but it will more than likely join the list of CD's I own that really never get played after the initial play.

Actually the fact that my CD collection is still in storage at my aunt's is causing a bit of a problem in a way, because back when I had my CD collection where I lived, I would sometimes pull out a CD that I had probably not listened to since it's initial play, and I would put it on to have another listen to it.  Sometimes it would be something that really opened my eyes.  Having started that music blog with the début Paul McCartney album, that was sort of along those lines.  Prior to that I had obviously listened to some of the album because it was on my iPod, but that was only whilst it was on shuffle, or I had some of those songs on a playlist that I had made up.  Now with the blog I have had to listen to the whole album and really look at it, analyse it, and all of that.  Doing that made me appreciate the set a lot more.

I sometimes am sat and think to myself about something that I would like to dig out and try listening to again, but there's no point since I don't have the couple of thousand or more CD's here to do that with.  Oh well, I suppose that I am stuck with whatever I have bought with me while living here.

Speaking of music, I have seen that someone who's music I like very much (Chris Dowd) is working on a new album with some great backing.  Mike Inez from Alice In Chains, Stephen Perkins from Jane's Addiction,and Darryl Jennifer from Bad Brains.  These are all acts that I am very much a fan of (although all the CD's I have of them are all including in those that are at my aunt's.  I have admired all of the music that I have heard him  be involved in, since his days in the great Fishbone.  This set that he is working on is a solo set, and I am very much looking forward to it.  The first thing that he was involved in after leaving Fishbone way back when was a great project entitled Seedy Arkhestra and the album Puzzle, which I recommend that anyone who likes listening to new music go and check out, it has so much going for it.  I'm also looking forward to his work as part of a group called The Ultra Infidels.  This set is entitled Beautiful Carnage, and he is looking at getting funding from his fans to be able to afford to record the set.  It is something that has become de rigeur, especially known to me because of my love for the band Marillion, who release material the same way by getting fans to pay and then the fans get material.

I can understand this from his perspective, because it is very expensive recording music, and I for one have that same problem with my own music, because I really can't find the money to put those last bits onto the One Day set, and the fact that they are vocals necessitates the parts needing to be recorded in a studio really, because I'm not so fond of vocals being recorded at home, especially with the limited means at my possession.  I have put some money towards it because, as I said, I am very much a fan of Chris's music.

Anyway, all of this sort of leads to news that I heard today for the first time, which is the surprising death of the singer Whitney Houston at the very young age of 48.  I was actually shocked to hear that when I saw it on the "red button" on BBC.  My thoughts go out to her family.

I thank you for reading and I look forward to a little trip to Retford tomorrow just for the heck of it.  I've not been there since I was doing my previous job as a relief security officer for Morrison's stores with Cardinal Security.  Myself and Louise like Retford very much, and look forward to just going there and seeing how things are.

Take care of yourselves.

February 12 2012 (41 years, 2 months, and 17 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment