Okay I know it's a little late to do this, but in truth I have been wondering whether or not I should post a blog specifically with this in mind.
Another thing is the fact that I wasn't sure which one of the blogs to post this in either, because I do have two different blogs that I write. The other blog is specifically about the careers of the ex-Beatles after they had split up.
So, after a lot of wondering whether I should be quite so forward, write a blog about it, and then where it should be, here it is.
(Sir) Paul McCartney is now 70 years old. There I have said it and I am sure that some people have been really irritated about my constant going on about it today on the social networks. I won't apologise for it, because over the years the music of Paul McCartney has been incredibly important to me.
Now I know that a lot of people have taken a dislike to the man for various reasons, but when all is said and done he has an incredible legacy behind him. He may not have had a top ten hit for however long it is now, but then that's not all that important. I saw an interview with Yoko Ono when they mentioned the whole "switching the credits" business with the names Lennon and McCartney, when she said "well, it won't be a best selling live album will it?" I think that was a petty remark in a way, and please don't go moaning at me about that. I can see it from both angles. She is right that Paul has an ego, but then so has she. All successful people have an ego to some extent, and that is one of the things that gets them to where they are. The ego stems from a self-belief. I believe that I am a good musician, that's not me showing off, but just stating a fact. I'm not putting myself into the same category, but I can very easily get by playing music. I think that I could quite easily step into a room with most musicians in the world and "jam". There you have it - "the ego has landed" as George Harrison used to say about Paul during their less friendly period.
I was brought up with the music of all the Beatles both solo and together, but initially I think it was the music of Wings, plus the red (1962-1966) and blue (1967-1970) Beatles compilations that were in my parents record collections of the 1970's when I was a tiny one (I stayed tiny for a long while, and in fact am still only 5' 7'' I believe - I don't check height and weight).
The Wings albums were Red Rose Speedway and Band On The Run. I played those and the Beatles compilations to death. I remember my dad being absolutely distraught after my cousin broke one of the compilations by walking on it, and then blaming me (he still hasn't come forward about it). I got punished for that severely. I was unable to put records on the record player after that time.
The first single someone bought me personally was Coming Up by Paul (I loved the Wings version on the B side, as well as the other song Lunch Box/Odd Sox - two B sides on a 7" single was really cool), closely followed by John's (Just Like) Starting Over. The first album I bought was Paul's Tug Of War, which I think is a very underrated album. In fact, I am really surprised that Paul and Stevie didn't perform it at the Queen's diamond jubilee - a wasted chance I think. Some people don't like that song, but then some people do. Music is about individual tastes after all.
Over the years I carried on buying material by all of the ex-Beatles (and the Beatles albums themselves as well), and of course bought other music. I liked their music because they were never one specific thing. A lot of the music I listen to is by people that don't stick to one type of music, which shows in my own music, because I like mixing it up and playing different styles myself.
Throughout all of those years I have constantly listened to the music from these people. When the arguments about Paul's material come into play, I always think that it's awful comparing because he has issued much more frequently than the others. I suppose that if he were to release at the same level as the others and be more choosy, then he could quite possibly have made more of an impact. As it is though that isn't the case. All the albums had great material in there, but there were songs that some people didn't care for. As an open-minded person I listen to a lot and take a lot in. I don't like to be critical if truth be told, but now in my other blog I have to be.
However, this is not the other blog, so I will finish by saying. 70 years old - well done Macca, here's to more great music and memories to come. Let's hope people can listen to a wasted great such as the rocky Oh Woman Oh Why, Get On The Right Thing, and Old Siam Sir, and maybe forget The Frog Chorus (I like that one, sorry) and those sort of things.
Thank you for reading. Take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment