The first thing that pops to my head is the passing of the great actor Ernest Borgnine. Now the first thing I think I remember seeing him in was probably The Dirty Dozen. It could have been the Airwolf television series, but I'm almost certain that it was the former.
No matter what it was that I had seen him in first (in fact it could even have been the Kris Kristofferson film Convoy come to think of it). Ah well, as I was saying though... Oh, it could have even been Escape From New York.
Damn it, okay I have seen a fair few things that Mr Borgnine has been an actor in. Needless to say I think that he was a really good actor, and from some of the video footage that has been posted as links, it seems like he was a lovely man as well.
A film that I haven't seen of his for a long while, but I know looking back on it is still a favourite, is The Wild Bunch made by the great Sam Peckinpah. Based in the 1910's, it is a story that is very much about the transition between the old Wild West type period and the lead up to commercialism, which would eventually see the cowboy gunslinger types of that time being replaced by gangsters. In the film Borgnine plays one of a group (including William Holden, Warren Oates and Robert Ryan among others) who decide to make one last big score while they still can. The film is rightly seen as a classic, even though many would find the film to be incredibly brutal and violent, especially the incredible fight at the end. I personally think that Tarantino sees it as a big influence because his films I have always seen to have that Peckinpah influence.
Anyway, it is an incredible film to watch, but it is also a long film (not half as long as Peckinpah wanted it to be I think). The storyline and the period though is fascinating. Another interesting thing is that for the most part the actors in the core group are a surprise for this type of role in a way, playing completely different roles to ones that they are known for. They are a bunch of hard-nosed men who curse, are incredibly violent, and have a really "don't give a damn" attitude. It is in some ways this film and this fact that brings an admiration from me about these actors - that they can play so may different characters and really sell it to you. Borgnine was one of these people, and like the others, he was bloody good at it.
If you get the chance, dig something out that features this great actor. Yes I said it, he is a great actor, because as I have done going through this the writing of this blog I have shown that that is what he is. All those roles I mentioned are completely different parts and different characters. Not many actors nowadays are like that. Now you will find people who basically do almost the same character all of the time, but here was a man from the school of acting where you are a very different person every time.
Rest in peace Mr Borgnine, you have left this world with a fantastic legacy and a back catalogue of films, television, and in theatre. Not only that though, but to those who knew you (not including myself unfortunately), there is a really nice man for them to remember.
Thank you.
This is about him, so the usual ending to my blog is not being used.


No comments:
Post a Comment