Monday, 6 August 2012

Thoughts from the realm of improvisation

So, what shall I write about then?  I have absolutely no idea because I have just thought "hey, what about writing a blog, because other people seem to be doing them now who weren't before, and theirs are bloody great with it (stand up and be counted Mr Tony Hearn).

Of course as many of you must know, I am one who has a tendency to read the blog, to the detriment of my actual reading of literature.  I seem to just get carried away by what some people write about.

There are all sorts of things online that grab my attention.  I am incredibly frequent on the old social networking arena, although I will admit to being more enamoured with the Twitterverse than the Facebook and Myspace sides.  I am especially denigrating of that Myspace world nowadays, because they have absolutely screwed that into the ground with the way it is!  The well and truly have placed that into the category of old and buried.  When I have frequented that site lately, it has been filled with virtual tumble weed.  Even the unfortunate passing of the great Derek B (British hip hop originator) is still alive on there (he died in November of 2009, may he rest in peace).  He was a true genius, but somehow Myspace has someone missed his passing.

Oh well, I hear that Fred Astaire's account is still active on there as well.  This is my way of saying they have not moved with the times.

Facebook has everything going on, but when you just want to be quick it is a tough thing to do, and at work I haven't always got the ability to catch up with all the "friends" profiles every day.  Who has???  Certainly not I.  It is an absolute impossibility to keep up with everyone, unless you have very few friends, in which case you probably could.  I suppose that I could be ruthless and get rid of those who aren't real friends, but there are some of those who I actually like to see information.  There are those who I have never actually much outside of the virtual, but who I am absolutely fascinated by.  Perhaps it is the songwriter in me.

Speaking of songwriting, I am of to a Songwriters group at my friend Matt's (you know, the one I went to the studio for to record some vocalising).  It will be interesting, but sometimes I get sick of the old driving business and actually like the idea of just occasionally being able to drink something that isn't tea, coffee, milk, water...  You get the picture.  I try not to touch even a drop of alcohol when I am expecting to drive, and that even goes for trifle now.

We visited someone, no names mentioned, and they gave us dinner and pudding (somehow I have a tendency to suggest visiting people a little before their meal times for some reason).  For pudding they served a trifle, which included absolutely loads of sherry.  Well, I really had to force myself to stay awake behind the wheel of the car driving for around an hour to get home I can tell you, and I am not exaggerating there.  This blogger here has virtually no contact with alcohol (I might as well not for how often I can get even a sip).  I just think the roads are safer with a completely alcohol free Marv behind the wheel of a car.  By that I mean alcoholic drinks and not the band Alcohol featuring the previously mentioned Tony Hearn.

I forgot to mention in the previous blog that I had started to actually put the extensive photo collection I have into albums (yes, actual physical photographs).  It'll be a big job that is for sure, because there are so many of them.

First of all being the exacting freak that I am I have a strategy for how they should be kept.  I will eventually have albums that are specific.  I already have a "music" related album, a "going out" album, and one full of photographs from brother's wedding.  Believe me when I say that there were a lot of photographs taken at that wedding.  If you want plenty of photographs to choose from at your wedding, invite my family because we are a family that never shirks on our photographing responsibilities.  We like taking photographs, and we don't hide that fact, hence why we have what are called Camera Wars - where you take photo's of each other taking photographs of each other, as well as trying to outdo how many photographs are taken.  Nowadays that is even more of a thing because of digital cameras and memory cards - the sky is the limit there believe me.  At my brother's wedding though, there was no such thing as a digital camera.  I for instance used up 5 films at least, which took 24 photographs on each one!

I suppose if I had known before now, then I would have photographs to put on this blog, but since I have made it up on the spot, then I haven't got said photographs to hand.  Oh well, these things happen when you make stuff up!

I am happy to have my hard drives back from my brother actually, because now I have the ability to work on those songs again, although in a way I had resigned myself to the fact of leaving things as they were and issuing what mixes I have (although adding vocals to some).  I think I will do just that to be honest - it's about time because I am slowly turning into Paddy McAloon (the Prefab Sprout songwriter who has a whole wealth of material recorded that he has done nothing with - there are around 20 albums worth that he has at home, but they have remained unmixed for the most part - a true shame).

Anyway, what is taking my attention lately is the whole Olympics thing, and how great has it been?  I don't care about the whole media furore with "Becky Adlington only getting bronze when she should have got gold" business, and the rest of it (poor Tom Daley, he did his best for crying out loud).  These people have done the best that they can.  Who are we, China when the previous Olympics were in Beijing and they were punishing their athletes for losing?  That is just wrong!!!  Let them be, because they have done what they could.

I was really ecstatic about Andy Murray winning the gold in the men's tennis singles and the silver in the mixed tennis doubles both on the same day.  Roger Federer (in my humble opinion the greatest tennis player around at the moment) was honest in summation of the singles match that he got silver in - "Andy was the better player on the day."  That is true sportsmanship.  Not to take away from Andy, but I thought that Fedex (the nickname for Federer) was having a very off day.  That is from one who watches Tennis sometimes.  I know some of my REAL friends who take the mickey out of tennis and say it isn't a sport, but I watch it sometimes and don't mind admitting it - we all have those weird things that we do, and I more than most obviously.

Anyway, I think I will leave it there, because I have waffled on enough now.

Here's to you having a lovely day ahead.  Take care, and thank you for reading.

7 August 2012 (41 years, 8 months, and 12 days old)

PS - Please feel free to research anything I have mentioned in this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment