Here we are again, another day and once more at a place of work. I know, I am very often at work, except for this week. It's a very short week for me, which is a blessing in disguise I suppose after the work I've done recently. The time off has been nice. I got the chance to Part Two of the blog on Ringo Starr's album Beaucoups of Blues, which was good to do, and I hope to be able to post Part Three very soon - I just have to learn the tunes first.
Here is a link to the welcome page for my music blog where you can find an index of what I have done so far - CLICK HERE.
I've not long finished reading a blog by my "friend" Drew Baxter. I put the word friend inside quotes because I have never actually met the chap, but I think of him as a friend, sort of. It's a strange thing this online friends business, but one that I seem to be getting used to. Drew's blog is always an interesting read, and also incredibly topical most of the time. Not that I watch the show, but Jim from Coronation Street would probably say, "he speaks his mind so he does!" I know, my impression of an Irish accent is pretty rubbish! I'm not very good at accents. My other half Louise though is good at a few accents.
My friend Tony doesn't seem to have done a blog for a while, but I would guess that he is incredibly busy doing other things, such as living possibly. People like me though have their lives governed by their work. Unfortunately for the most part I am one of those people who is a night worker. Occasionally I work during the day, but mainly nights. Because of this my body clock works that way, even on days off. I must say that I have actually been up early for me this week a couple of times. Well, I say a couple of times, maybe once. That morning I was up at about half past eight in the morning to get the place ready for the visit of a gas inspector who was going to come "some time during the afternoon." Oh how I hate it when these people say that sort of thing! It doesn't half irritate the hell out of me. Why can't they be a little more precise like, "I will be there between 2 and 3 in the afternoon, or something like that?" I remember a few occasions where people have shown up at the very end of the scale. In fact, the worst one ever was one who said they would show up during the day, and they appeared at some time around 8 'clock in the evening. How great was that? I took the day off work specially as well.
Back then I was working a job that was day work. I was working for a company that provided security for Morrison's Supermarkets, and I was an Area Relief Officer for the Midlands. A big area indeed, but also an interesting job looking back at it, because I got to meet so many people from all over the place who I would never have met otherwise. I even met the person who invented one type of security tag for alcohol bottles.
I met a lot of members of staff at stores that I really got on with. I suppose that in some people's eyes there should be some distance maintained between staff and security, but I am not someone who completely agrees with that. I like to think that because I try to create a rapport between myself and the staff on the site, that I can do a better job than if I was a boring sod that never said anything to anyone. I also found that in some cases they were willing to be more helpful to me in my line of work. Some of those people I maintain relations with through my social networking, but I must admit that I don't pay attention to people's pages as much as I should!
There are a number of reasons why I left that job for the one I have now, but I won't go into them. All that needs to be said is that the job I have now means that I have down time while I am at work, which is filled with the aforementioned social networking and with the occasional writing of my blogs. I would like to say that as a Security Guard I am doing these things to keep me active in case anything happens on site. I think that is true of a lot of us. I try not to get too engrossed in it, or I may miss things, but that is also one of the reasons why I read some people's blogs and listen to people's podcasts. I have the time available to me, so I use that time to do these things. If I was an office worker, factory worker, or even a construction worker, then I wouldn't be able to do those things. I am lucky in a sense, but in others not so. I am sure that the same can be said for so many people. It is these hurdles that we have that make us the people that we are. If life was perfect then we would all be automatons. I am happy to be an individual, and I am happy to be an individual who reads these fascinating blogs and listen to what I think are interesting podcasts.
Thank you for reading, please take care.
Friday January 18 2013 (42 years, 1 month, and 23 days old).
Links -
Drew's blog - View From The Hill
Tony's blog - Tome of Tone
Matt's Beatles blog - Beatles Songwriting Academy
Nicholas's Songwriting Blog - Song Written
Paul B Edwards' blog - Poorly Bee
Podcasts to look for - Punky! Radio, Filmsack, Autopilot, and The Kitchen Table Trio.
No comments:
Post a Comment