Friday, 24 May 2013

Visits to the cinema

Flipping heck, has it been a month since I last blogged?  Wow!

It would have been sooner because I've virtually finished two parts of the music blog, except that I am waiting for new blog related recordings singer Dean to get the songs back to me with his vocals on.

As it is it seems to people as though I have done hardly anything internet wise lately - not far off the truth I suppose.  I've basically been taking it easy in a way, and I sort of get sick of just posting a blog for the sake of getting one written.

Things that jump out at me are that I have carried on reading more since the last post (which was actually about my reading), and I have actually been to the cinema twice for crying out loud - TWICE!!!

The reason for being at the cinema is all related to the new Star Trek film Into Darkness (it could have a better title in my opinion).  I have been waiting for the Star Trek film since seeing the 2009 JJ Abrams film, and was very happy with what I saw - for the most part.  It's very difficult to talk about the film without giving away spoilers, which people don't seem to be caring about now on websites where they are mentioning all of the twists in the film, except maybe for one that I haven't seen anyone mention.  Perhaps that is because people hadn't realised the link to Deep Space Nine and Voyager?

I like the main leads in the films now and think they are doing good versions of those characters, with special mention made to Karl Urban as Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy.  There are some great new Bones-ism's in the film - "You don't rob a bank when your getaway car has a flat tyre".  Chris Pine is doing his own interpretation of Captain Kirk rather than "doing a Shatner".  Zach Quinto is playing Spock in a way that is inspired by Nimoy's original, but is still making it his own at the same time.

As someone who is a lifelong fan of the Trek universe (I enjoy all of the different Trek shows and films by the way), I can see where people who are Trekkers are irritated by the Abrams team's interpretation of Trek, but in a way they have brought life to a franchise that just seemed to be there with nothing new on the horizon.  While they were in charge, the Berman/Braga team who were the main people behind the later versions of the Trek series had done a really good job for the most part.  Abrams, Lindelof, Orci, etc have however given the franchise a new lease of life and, in a way, the whole "reboot" so to speak works incredibly well to bring the excitement back.

I've read another person's opinion about the film who mentions that even though he himself (and me here as well) doesn't give it away, the biggest (and not such a surprise) twist is actually something that is sort of irritating in a way - it's almost like they were worried that serious Trekkers wouldn't want to watch it if they knew.  I would watch it again to be honest and think that it is a good alternative look to a classic story from the original treks, although the reproduced dialogue nearly grates at times, but it was interesting how the dialogue works the other way around.  When you see the film you will see what I mean.  There is just one line that Spock says that Kirk did in the original Treks that actually even now is irritating - just me perhaps?  Again I can't say much as it would give it away!

The original intention with this film was to go to Mansfield to watch the film with members of my family, but since that idea was discussed originally I now have no form of transport other than public transport (which is very expensive, takes an age to travel so few miles, and there would be no transport back after the film finished).  This meant me seeing it at the Odeon Cinema here in Newark, where I actually took two tickets to the counter to have the points added to my Odeon Card when I was informed that I had already acquired enough points to see a film for free - WINNER!

The following Tuesday (this past Tuesday) I went to at last go and see Iron Man 3, which I was very doubtful about having seen the first two and the wonderful Avengers film (I would have preferred to have seen the unedited American version of that though).  I thought that there was no way that Iron Man 3 could live up to the hype, especially after enjoying those other films mentioned.  I was so wrong.

Iron Man 3 is an absolutely cracking superhero flick.  It has great action, a top storyline, well written characters, and is just a fantastic film all around.  My only gripe would be the destruction of those great Iron Man suits - rest in peace :(

The actors in the film are really great.  Here again is a film though that has a lot of twisting involved, so I am trying not to give too much away.  Suffice it to say that Guy Pearce is really great, and Ben Kingsley does a tour de force in acting what is in a way two different roles in one.  A fantastic film!

I basically went to see Iron Man 3 because I thought "well, if Star Trek Into Darkness was free then I might as well use the money I had intended to fork out to go and watch another film.

The weird thing is that I am actually thinking of going to the cinema again on my own this forthcoming Tuesday while Louise is out, mainly because I have found out through these different cinema trips that they have cheaper rates in the daytime between Monday and Friday.  If I do then it will probably be Fast & The Furious 6.  Louise would like us both to watch the film The Big Wedding together.

I do know that I will no longer miss films at the cinema if things come out where Louise wouldn't want to watch them with me, because in those cases I will take advantage of the cheaper daytime prices. :-)

Thank you for reading, please take care.

May 25 2013 (42 years, 5 months, and 29 days old).

PS - I forgot to mention that we were picked up by Louise's parents on Wednesday who took us for a trip out to Skegness, which was a great time out and a nice change.  So much fun lately hey. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment