Friday, 27 February 2015

Rest in peace Leonard Nimoy


Today is a sad day, and I know that some might think differently - a select few.

I should be doing FAWM stuff now really, but I just can't get this out of my mind.

It is a funny thing that there is very little I remember about my childhood years, but I seem to remember television programmes, especially the original series of Star Trek, which me and both of my older brothers watched together (we watched Buck Rogers as well, but that's different...

I know people who dis the original series of Star Trek for it's shaky sets, using the same places a lot as alien lands, and that sort of thing.  But the thing is that none of that matters really, because with that sort of show you lose yourself in there, just like people lose themselves in Star Wars, a soap opera on TV, or anything - it takes you to a place where you don't really see the stuff that isn't perfect in these programmes, but you let the story take you somewhere!
Star Trek - The Original Series

As a child, and as an adult now since I am still an avid fan that watches it and will continue to, Star Trek was the show that did that for me.  Also, to add to that, I absolutely loved (and still love) the Mission Impossible series, which Leonard was also one of the stars of.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Star Trek was, as he has admitted a lot of times himself, a very big part of his life.  He couldn't escape that fact even if he wanted to!  It's like Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr telling you to forget that they were in The Beatles, that Mick Jagger is in The Rolling Stones, that John Lydon was Johnny Rotten in The Sex Pistols - it ain't gonna happen!

But, at the same time, it must be remembered that he was more than just "the guy who played Spock!"

Mission Impossible (pre-Cruise)
The list of acting credits for Mr Nimoy is an incredibly long and exhaustive list!  Just look on IMDb or wikipedia - 134 acting credits, 12 director credits, and 150 credits where he has played himself in things (The Simpsons, Futurama, etc)...  An incredible body of work!

Me and Louise saw him in an episode of Columbo recently, and he was really good in that!  Not at all like Spock in Star Trek, because he was an actor.

Now, I won't profess to having seen everything that Leonard was in, but I've seen a few things.

The Big Bang Theory
I remember him very well in the Mission Impossible television series and, in fact, before Star Trek finished, both series were filmed in the same studios and used a lot of the same sets, as well as the same extras and guest casts!  Both series came from the Desilu Productions company, which was owned by Lucille Ball, after originally being formed by herself and her previous husband Desi Arnaz Sr (Desi-Lu you see).

"Doe, a deer, a female deer..."
As I've mentioned, me and Louise saw him in that episode of Columbo, and he also played the recurring character of William Bell in that incredible television series Fringe!

If you're a fan or not, then just looking at the list of credits is amazing to see.  I won't list them all on here, but I will just leave you to decide if you want to follow those links.

But, he wasn't just an actor, director (yes, including two Star Trek films as well as Three Men & A Baby), producer, and in fact singer (Ballad of Bilbo Baggins anyone?), but he was an incredible humanitarian and charity worker, having raised money and awareness of many causes.

I was shocked to hear of his death, but then I knew that he was ill from a news report last week.

He leaves behind a loving family, and an incredible legacy.  Our thoughts and prayers should be with his family at this difficult time.

"hahahaha"
I could quote Star Trek a lot, and there are a few quotes that are incredibly fitting.  "Of all the souls I have ever encountered, his was the most human" comes to mind.

However, I really like some of the tributes left by people who have worked with him...

"hahahaha"
William Shatner -

"I loved him like a brother. We will all miss his humor, his talent, and his capacity to love."

George Takei - "Today, the world lost a great man, and I lost a great friend. We return you now to the stars, Leonard. You taught us to Live Long And Prosper, and you indeed did, friend. I shall miss you in so many, many ways."

John Noble - "My friend and colleague Leonard Nimoy passed today. A true legend, and a wonderful human being. Sadly missed."
"hahahaha"

Anyway, I will leave it there, albeit for me to say what I said in my own message earlier... A beautiful soul has moved on. Rest in peace Leonard Nimoy.


1 comment: