I thought that, unlike my usual self, I would write a relatively short blog post this time.
It is just because the time isn't easy to find these days, plus there is already a lot out there about the passing of Yes bassist and founder member Chris Squire.
On Sunday the 28th of June 2015, the world heard that Chris Squire, bassist, vocalist, and founder member of Yes had died after a battle with leukemia.
Yes were one of those bands that were placed under the banner of "Progressive Rock", which I suppose they were to a degree. All I know is that they are incredibly special, and Chris's contribution to music can never and should never be ignored in any way.
Much as people see bass players such as John Entwistle, Jaco Pastorius, and other such luminaries as figurehead icons who pushed the boundaries of the bass guitar, Chris himself was just the same. His playing was absolute perfection, whilst striding that line of lead bass almost that Entwistle too was known for! At the same time however, Chris Squire had an incredible voice to go with it, and his songwriting was out of this world.
He spearheaded the group's experiments into time signatures, tempo changes, genre-straddling, and absolutely unbelievable vocal harmonising (I've Seen All Good People, etc), bringing such wonders as moments of folk-tinged parts in say 13/8 suddenly going into all-out rocking with four to the floor, and other such weirdness, most of the time-changes and key changing at the time being more akin to jazz than anything else.
They were never afraid to try anything!
That's how the group have material that is so diverse, you have songs that range from the likes I just mentioned in pieces like Roundabout and Heart Of The Sunrise, to incredible dalliances in pop such as the classic Owner Of A Lonely Heart and Hearts (neither of which being actually as straight forward pop as they may seem to some upon first listen).
I actually came to Yes late in the day.
Owner Of A Lonely Heart was on the radio, and I thought that it was absolutely amazing! Everything that is going on in that song, the syncopation, the changes... Everything is immaculate, and it was like nothing that I remember having heard before then.
It was October of 1983 when the song was released, and I became 13 in November of that year.
Up until then my taste was pretty much shaped by my family, but I was starting to be influenced by others around me. I had begun to get an interest in bands like Iron Maiden, AC/DC, and others from kids at school.
One of my friends had some of the older Yes material on record, and there was something about them that was incredibly relaxing in a way I suppose - I just found it so easy to get into surprisingly. Going For The One and Relayer were two albums I remember him owning, and they had so much going for them.
Once I left school I bought records and tapes like a crazy thing, and I got some great Yes albums from record fairs and record shops in Mansfield. They continued to come out occasionally when I wanted to relax and just let myself get lost in their music. I have trouble putting on a Yes album as background. If I put them on, then I have to just listen and take it in. Every time I listen I still now find things that just get me.
They had a profound effect on me and my listening I am sure, and I am also pretty sure that inadvertently perhaps in my case, Chris's playing shaped me into the bass player that I became to a certain degree.
No matter what other instruments I may play, I will always see myself as primarily a bassist, and I have Chris (and others of course) to thank for that.
Rest in peace Chris Squire, yours was never a disgrace!
Thank you. A longer post than I thought it was going to be, but I think it's okay.
PS - I was actually talking to my market trader friend Steve on the local market last week, and we both agreed that because of our love for "progressive rock" we think we have a more open mind musically than some other people. I have Yes and Chris to thank for that I suppose as well then (and other bands of course - hello King Crimson, Genesis, ELP, etc).
No comments:
Post a Comment