Thursday, 10 November 2011
Let's remember those...
Today is a very special day for those of us in the United Kingdom. It is the eleventh of November, when we observe two minutes worth of silence for those who have fallen in battle. Most of us wear a poppy as a display of our thoughts being with them.
The whole Remembrance Day tradition and the significance of the poppy is based on those who fought and died in World War I. During that very bloody war, battles were waged at Flanders, a land known for it's poppy fields. As that comes to mind I imagine people fighting each other, shooting from one trench towards another, and some "going over the top" to fight the opponent, blood and guts pouring out everywhere, and poppy petals flying in the air, and landing on those bodies now no longer able to go home to those who are left at home as widows, as children without fathers, and those parents who lost their children.
Recently I have heard of the FA banning any team from displaying poppies on their kits. I for one think that that shows the FA to be people who have no feelings for those who are fighting, or for those children who are losing parents right now, and those who are still now losing children in these wars across the globe.
If I may be so bold, I believe that Remembrance Day could now keep the symbolisation, but it would not be difficult to make it a global tradition. If we all joined together to remember those who have fought in wars, then perhaps that could show, even in a small way, that peace is attainable, even in those two minutes when all would be together as one. We all know people who are fighting somewhere in this world. We may not necessarily agree with war, but it is something that is happening right now. Who are we to be so selfish as to think that they are not worth our thoughts, even for two minutes?
Thank you for reading.
November 11 2011 (with this post, my age is insignificant, those I spoke of are)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment