So, it is Christmas time then, and the songs have been playing. My iPod's Christmas playlist has been on a little over the last week or so, where I seem to have repeated a few of the songs by accident. I have two versions of Happy Xmas (War Is Over), a few versions of I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus (including pretty much the whole of the A Christmas Gift To You album from Phil Spector), and other tunes.
I'll admit that I haven't really done any work on my own Christmas album since the beginning of January if truth be told. I had another listen to what I recorded in the shape of Winter Sounds and Santa Claus Is On His Way, and was pleased with them, even if they are just basic very rough (and with my obligatory awful sound quality at home).
Artists included on the playlist include obviously John Lennon, Greg Lake, Jona Lewie, Sarah McLachlan, Aimee Mann, Paul McCartney, Bing Crosby (yes I know, but I don't care if you think it's cheesy)), The Pogues, and many more. The list is endless as to who can be on this sort of thing, but there is no Cliff Richard on my playlist!
Already we have watched a few Christmas films at home, with special mention made to Elf and the Disney animated A Christmas Carol with the voices of Jim Carrey (a few characters) and Gary Oldman (a few more characters), which are both seasonal must-watch films with us. We have got the Albert Finney version of A Christmas Carol (actually called Scrooge) out ready, as well as the Patrick Stewart version, and Louise is pushing for National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.
Have you noticed that I don't really know what to talk about and am making this up as I go along again? Thought so.
So, what the hey. Times are tough financially, and I know that is the same for so many of us. However, I am of the mind of trying to enjoy what I can of Christmas. I've been around and visited people, delivered presents (less than I would normally, again due to financial constraints), and given out the cards. People have said how they wish I had been sooner so that they could have had their cards with them to pass on to me, but in truth I give out cards not to get them back, but just because I am letting them know how important they are. There are some who I haven't got around to visiting, and to those I apologise once more. Security work doesn't give you much time (or fuel money for that matter) to be able to get around everyone.
I got myself a copy of the bumper Xmas edition of The Big Issue while I was in Mansfield on Wednesday (I miss the place I'll admit). I'm looking forward to reading it, especially the piece on The Gruffalo where they are suggesting that it could become a "Christmas Icon". That would be nice. I've read the book and The Gruffalo's Child, and loved them both. I also enjoyed the BBC's animated cartoon of the former, and am looking forward with joy to seeing The Gruffalo's Child as an animated piece by the BBC this year. I'm also looking forward to seeing the BBC's new version of Great Expectations as well, if the bloody recorder works and records it all for me. I love Charles Dickens stories. There is something about them that is just brilliant and, strangely enough, timeless in a way. They are stories that never seem to tire like some do. There are reinterpretations of them, and there are straight copies, and there are also stories based on his writings. His influence is wide-ranging, and I love how he brings a ray of light and hope into the darkness of those times during which he was writing.
That is really what I see as this Christmas in a way. We are living through dark times now, but for just this short period that some call Christmas (and some call other different things such as the Jewish ritual of Hanukkah) it would be nice if we could forget the troubles that we are all in and just have fun.
Happy holidays everybody. I will most likely be blogging during Christmas night, since I am at work. That and possibly watching a few Bond movies if I bring my Bond box set with me.
Take care of yourselves. I look forward to more ramblings to come. Thank you for reading.
23 December 2011 (41 years, and 28 days old)
PS - Before I forget, I would like to suggest that people check out the great compilation album It's Not Like Christmas (available on iTunes as well) by various independent artists (including my personal friends SWIMMING and Amusement Parks On Fire). All proceeds go to the charity SHELTER, and I love it. Out of interest, I would actually love to join APoF on stage for The Day It Snowed if ever I caught them during Christmas gigging.
No comments:
Post a Comment