Monday, 26 March 2012

It's All About The Music

Hello everybody, it has been a long time since I last chatted with you, and that is because I was taking a bit of a breather from it all.

While I have been on this rest period so to speak, I have been thinking about my own music and working on it. As mentioned before I have already organised getting the Special Edition version of A New World Order up onto the internet, but am still waiting for it to show up anywhere.  I know that it will, but I am just itching to see what people think of those songs from all that time ago (ten years ago now), and of the ten bonus tracks that I have put on there which weren't featured initially.

Unfortunately the follow up to that set, Colours, is no longer available, but I am seriously getting more material out soon I promise.  I am looking at a single release at the moment, and am just looking at the possibilities that way.  I am receiving assistance in this from my unbiased friend Rob Huskinson, who has had the fortunate/unfortunate role of listening to the songs I have sent his way to listen to.  Already his suggestions have been invaluable, and I look forward to more help from him.  As soon as a decision is made, I will let you know.  It will most probably not be the only single song release this year, and the first song is a taster for the set I have been working on for so bloody long now - my friend Paul B Edwards always said that I take ages to come out with stuff, and he isn't wrong.  Not that I purposely make it that way but, as the great Chris Dowd (ex-Fishbone) said to me, it is an expensive business to record.

You can do it in your bedroom now I suppose, but there is something about using a proper studio that is set up for that very purpose which is unreachable in any other way.

In the recording studio I have so many great memories and can't think of any bad moments off hand.  I will admit that these things don't always work out on a first take basis, but that is why it is so exciting to record.  You can be there with your instrument putting something down and the realise that it just isn't right.  There are moments when you can be there and suddenly have inspiration and put down something.  You don't always have the musical "hook" every time you go into the studio, and those are the times when that comes whilst you're in the studio recording the song.

I have decided to not issue songs before because of the fact that there just isn't that something there.  This issuing of A New World Order isn't everything that was recording during that time in the studio.  Most musicians/songwriters or what have you record multiple songs and then whittle them down, that is where a lot of their released material is based from.  They go through what they have recorded, and then basically compile a "best of" so to speak.  You can't always write your best.

For the first time since the two different versions of the song The Little Man from Colours, I am looking at different mixes of songs, which should hopefully make things more interesting.  The fact that I have the individual instrument and vocal tracks for most of the songs means that I can play around with them at my own leisure.

I'll admit that I have been thinking about making Colours available again on the internet (iTunes. Amazon, etc), but at present my thoughts are with the set I am working on finishing now, and the one that I have started  on already as a follow up to that.  When I do look at making Colours available again, that too will be a Special Edition of sorts because there are all sorts of extra bits and pieces around that as well such as demo's that I recorded, an alternative mix of another one of the songs, and a few songs that were recorded then, but not included for some reason or another.  That is a project in the future though.

As I said, my mind at the moment is on getting other music sorted, as well as the imminent return to my music blog, which will be soon.

I'm sorry, I didn't know I was going to discuss this until I started typing, and I apologise if it's not what you were expecting.  Needless to say that to some people it is information that will be of interest, because I know that some people (friends) have been wondering how I am getting on musically.  This then answers that to a point.

Thank you for reading, please take care.

March 27 2012 (41 years, 4 months, and 1 day old)

No comments:

Post a Comment