So here I am a lot of the way through a sort of journey of self-discovery. You see, it's occurred to me that these songwriting challenges, to me at least, are a way to discover who I am in the shape of things.
Now I know that might sound deep, philosophical and, quite frankly, full of shit, but hey, we get these thoughts from time to time. Basically, I think that at different times it's a good thing to just stop and work out who you are at that particular point in life. Now personally I thought, like some of you, that all of that stuff was just crap that people say - people who, I admit regrettably, I used to just take the piss out of when I was younger (so much younger than today). It has taken this long for me to realise all of this!!!
So, where has this journey into myself taking me?
Well ask you might as Yoda would say. In a way these songwriting challenges have helped me get back to thinking about my songwriting and my playing a damn sight more for one thing! I'm a lazy musician because, in all honesty, I don't really have a reason. I don't gig because of work, and I don't have a band. That is something that certainly bugs the "I want to be a musician" in me. By that last statement I mean that it's simpler to just write songs and let a "proper" singer put them across. I've always been in the "get by" fold when it comes to singing, and that bugs me because I think my songs would go over better by others singing them.
Now I've been putting music to someone else's words (unfortunately they've only written what I can term as a single verse and chorus, which is making things tricky, unless I want it to turn out like McCartney's Goodnight Tonight, Why Don't We Do It In The Road, or...... Well, he's written a few where it's just the same verse repeated hasn't he. I'm trying to think of others who have done that?
So (back to the topic in hand), I'm working on this song and thought as a laugh I would try and do what I call a grungy vocal (it probably isn't), and someone said that I should keep doing that, so I am going to. All these years hey!
One problem is that that vocal won't cut it for everything that I write, but I am going to keep trying. I may fail, but I'll keep trying until I have someone to fall back on again, at least!
Thank you for reading. Take care.
August 29th 2013 (42 years, 9 months, an 3 days old).


No comments:
Post a Comment