Friday, 18 October 2013

The world today

Hello all.  How is the world treating you?  There are things going on all over the place aren't there?!?

Over here in the UK, the government continue to take more from those less off, and big corporations continue to put up the cost of electricity, gas, and fuel, so that those less off have to basically decide whether they can afford to pay to keep themselves warm during what has been predicted to be the coldest Winter in the country in over twenty years,and that is bloody cold because I can remember nights where it's gone colder than -10 degrees Centigrade before now (that is 14 Fahrenheit by the way).  Of course, the rich millionaires who happen to run the country don't really give a shit because to them it's peanuts...  Drop their pay to minimum wage and see how things change then the greedy so and so's (I'm trying to not swear so much - let's see how long that lasts...  Oh, I already said shit... Well, that's allowed isn't it?)...

Anyway...  I suppose that I should say that that is "in my opinion"?  Yeah well...

Elsewhere in the world I see that the US government have decided to close up shop after spitting their dummies out - boo hoo, go and get back into your cots. :-(

October is now more than half way through now, and it is flying by.  I am enjoying this Rocktober idea of recording cover versions, which I thought that I wouldn't.  I remember back in the day I used to get sick of the chats about what covers to include in set lists, because I was always writing something which would be worked on with the others.  I can see the thinking behind it now, but back then I just wanted to be seen as original, which covering others artists seemed to me to be showing something completely different.

It's also giving me the chance to look at the not-so-obvious choices as well.  When looking at The Bee Gees, I thought "why not pick a sixties pre-extreme harmony style song?"  From there I picked the very little known song Spicks & Specks from 1966.  The songs I have chosen are from all over the spectrum hopefully.

I actually had fun coming up with a new arrangement for the "not great" Paul McCartney song Pretty Little Head, which I enjoyed working on!  I think that I have done a good job there.

As I said I've picked all sorts, and my ukulele interpretation of Come Together by The Beatles has been enjoyed by many, whereas I was just doing it to see if it worked more than anything else.  That plus it's a damn fine song and gave me the choice to try and get my vocals into action.

I did a version of Sean Lennon's lovely song Parachute, and I think that the cover version I did of Julian Lennon's Too Late For Goodbyes is quite possibly the best cover version I have ever recorded!

Anyway, it's adding to the fact that in some ways I need to get out there and gig.  I could possibly put together a fairly decent set list - six originals and two cover versions to make a short set with maybe?  Change the set each time slightly as well to keep potential frequent giggers interested and surprised?  The idea is there, but then so are the nerves, the laziness in me that says "oh it's a lot of hassle getting the vocals and playing perfected", and the fact that I mainly work night shifts, which pretty much screws up gigging in the evening...  Like I said, the idea is there!

What else is happening then?

Well, the One Day album seems to be making it's way to iTunes for some time during November, which is a nice thing, although not absolutely as I'd have liked it to sound for the most part.  I just can't afford the time and money to sort it out - it's been about seven years for crying out loud, which is a long bloody time!

Anyway, surprisingly I think I will leave it there.  Check out my Rocktober page if you like, and there is still the 5090 page up where you can check things out, and my challenge album is available on Bandcamp to buy or stream!  What can I say, I like to sell music because I want to give up my job and work on music full time - that is the dream in truth!

Thank you for reading.  Take care.

October 19th 2013 (42 years, 10 months and 23 days old).


No comments:

Post a Comment