It's been a while hasn't it. In my defence I've been very busy. I've been busy with the 5090 songwriting challenge, with 132 songs eventually finding their way onto my page there.
During September I took part in the on-site challenge to write, record and release an entire album during the whole month. I think I wrote the first piece for it on the first and the whole album was up on Bandcamp completed and ready to buy.
I know - I'm materialistic in that I like earning money through music. What can I say but that I'd happily give up my job if I could love off music. Who of us wouldn't?
Album link - http://projectmarv1.bandcamp.com/album/seasons
Anyway... Seasons, as it's called, is available in all of it's disjointed glory. Don't get me wrong. I think there is some good on there, but the restrictions therein caused it to become much more of a mixed bag genre wise and quality wise.
I enjoy all styles of music, and I find it difficult to stay to one area when it comes to writing. Previously I've been able to cherry pick material from a larger body of tunes I've written and give sets more time to avoid such a wide chasm of styles.
I do know that I intend to revisit some of what's on there in the future to expand on. I will be looking at somehow joining some of the "theme" pieces together into a single song somehow. By "theme" pieces I mean Autumn Leaves Fall, Leaves Are All Around and possibly Withering Away, although the latter works well as it is with being joined to Dawn Breaks.
There are other pieces I thought were good - My Sweet And Lovely Girl would be great by another artist. I think Spellbound is fantastic, although it could possibly be longer, but there is something about it as it is. Always is beautiful in it's succinctness and simplicity. Withering Away/Dawn Breaks is a great piece, albeit possibly better if I took it into a studio and got +Dean Leivers or someone else to sing on it. Running is a fantastically funky piece of instrumental cool. Walking In The Park With My Louise and Rain Outside My Window are both great lo-fi ambient pieces. Some of the "Machines Suite" is cool as well, but made up of short incidental pieces.
All that I've just said explains the quandary of the album. There's good in there, but there is so much in there that it could possibly put people off. If I possibly split it into two halves and expanded on each then there could possibly be two good albums there.
I did have two songs written but not recorded in the shape of The Summer Is Here and Seasons, both of which were intended for the album. If they had been finished, then perhaps I'd have left off the "Machines Suite" of songs (songs 12-19), and rearranged everything else into a more conventional set of mainly actual songs. It's all simple in hindsight isn't it! I'm not sure if what I would have been left with would be long enough to make an album though. It's all questions in my head. Why not go over there, spend the five pound on the 22 titles on there, and make your own mind up? ;-)
My big thing at the moment is with the release at last of One Day, the Project Marv album that's been years in the making. That's going to be available, I think, in the second week of November.
That is a more rounded set, and possibly more accessible for people. I'm looking forward to that being out there for all to hear at last. I know the others involved in it's creation are excited by it. There are some incredible pieces in there for people, such as the full length versions of Good Morning World and Daydreamer, a different version of Breakfast Song, and other stuff.
Anyway, I'd best leave this here. You know where I am now. I'll be cleaning this blog post up in a bit - blogging on my phone is trickier than on the laptop. I can't insert links the same, and pictures need to be placed better.



No comments:
Post a Comment