I know, it's almost a month since I last posted a blog, and I was supposed to be posting up about my progress during the songwriting challenge known as FAWM (February Album Writing Month), but I just didn't get around to it.
If you go and look then you'll find a lot there to sink your teeth into :-)
I am actually surprised by what I've done, especially considering that I didn't spend as much time on it as I did last year!
There is the fact that quite a few on there are what's known as post-FAWM collaborations... There were lyrics that people wrote which were left without any music, so I am putting some of those to music.
FAWM page - http://fawm.org/fawmers/marvsmooth/
Anyway, get over there if you can. Cherry pick if you have to, and check other people on there.
There are some incredible people who take part in it, and I've been working with a few of them this time.
Believe it or not, during February I worked with +Cheryl Hodgins (username - writeorwrong), Elizabeth Petty (kahlo2013), +Clif Johnston (mood481), Laree Cisco (lhcisco), +Cindy Prince (cindyrella), +Larry W Jones (kingwood kowboy), Geneva Griffin (Nightengale), Morgan Hyde (aveline), +Nadia Cripps (musicsongwriter), Sherry Somach (sherrycanary), Mike Karns (jamkar), Arthur Rossi (arthurrossi), Donna Devine (donna), and Sam Healer (samhealer). Phew!
And yet, I am working with more now too!
Anyway, I will blog more soon and gob into detail.
Actually...
There is a song on there called History of the Blues, which is a co-write with Clif & Laree.
I wrote the words after I had seen a programme on BBC4 here in the UK, and for some reason I just wrote those lyrics. Some bits where along similar lines to songs I had written before such as Slave Song, Sorry, and a couple of unrecorded songs such as This Is Our Land This Is Our Home.
Anyway, while writing the words I thought that it would be nice to have something more modern musically, and I had wanted to work with Clif since I caught a couple of his pieces during the previous FAWM and 5090 challenges. I also wanted to work with Laree because, quite frankly, he should be BIG TIME in my opinion because he's bloody great!
The idea in my head then was that Clif could do something more atmospheric and, erm, I think electronic is the wrong term, but all I know is that I love his sound - it has the more "free" feel that acts like Boards of Canada go for, but even more so.
Anyway, I got the music from Clif and it was amazing. I mean that it knocked my socks off!
I then sent a link for Laree to download it, to which he eventually posted an amazing piece of work. His vocal is amazing, and he added some amazing sound clips such as bits by Son House and the great Robert Johnson (the guy who allegedly sold his soul to the devil to be as good as he was).
Anyhow, we were all amazed by it, but incredibly proud. Laree is right when he said "it's a documentary in sound." Absolutely! :-)
Here is the song - http://fawm.org/songs/39752/
Thank you for reading, please take care.
March 10th 2014 (43 years, 3 months, and 12 days old).
No comments:
Post a Comment