Saturday, 30 August 2014

Bored, tired, need something different

Hey, how are ya?

Well, I've seemingly not posted since I blogged my thoughts on the sad passing of Robin Williams.  I was thinking of writing a piece about Sir Richard Attenborough (much more than Santa in that film), but I thought it best to not follow one tribute with another.  Perhaps I will look at the great Lord Attenborough, but not at this moment.

First of all - happy birthday to my dad today and to my Uncle Clive tomorrow.  I won't mention ages, but they are older than me! :-)

Marks & Spencer Butterscotch Drops
Since the last blog post then I've done pretty much the same old same old...  Working, sleeping, working, sleeping, grew an abscess on the right side of my face - the guess is that it was as a consequence of a filling coming out.  I seem to have been self-treating well with the use of paracetamol and ibuprofen apparently, or so the dentist said (well, I'm taking those for the post-bicycle accident injuries anyway).  The filling work has now been redone, and luckily it hasn't come back out yet.  Mind you, my packet of sugar free butterscotch drops from M&S might not help with that.  They are flaming well tasty though damn it!  Damn you sweets and the like - lovely to taste, but not good for the waistline or my teeth!

My musical journey a la the songwriting challenge known as 50-90 seems to be quiet at present.  I've been unable to get any actual music written lately due to work commitments, and I don't tend to work on music when Louise is at home - we don't get much time lately with us both working during completely different times, which means we take what time we can get together.

Louise went to see the film Guardians of the Galaxy with me, and I was surprised when she said that she thought it was "one of the worst films that I have ever seen!"  What?  Really?  It's amazing how two people can have such an enormous difference of opinion about something!  I thought it was one of the greatest Marvel Comics films!!!  Oh well, we can't all be the same can we?!?!

Looking at my output for 50-90 this year, I can see that it isn't a lot.  That's just because of the reason I explained - time!  I'm sure that I will get something done very soon, but I am not sure exactly when to be honest!

I see that the comeback of Kate Bush is perhaps a little so-so in response because she isn't playing anything from her earlier period of work!  Well, that is hardly surprising in some ways, but then people that really know the work of Ms Bush would understand that anyway.  First and foremost - do you really think that she can get that vocal ability now that she did in her late teens/early twenties?  Doubtful!

Even someone who kept on the circuit for all of those years would have trouble, because your vocal abilities can diminish over time, just as your hearing does - that's just natural!

To perform those songs (Wuthering Heights, The Man With The Child In His Eyes, Babooshka, etc) now at 56 years old would basically give people the ability to say "well, she can't sing them like she used to...", and other such things!  Either way people will moan - "she didn't sing it" or "she shouldn't have sung it"!  She could not win either way with that one!

She is one of a breed that is becoming a thing of the past unfortunately - a musical artist/entertainer!  Rather than nowadays where it's all clones of the same manufactured pap, she is from the school of thought that thinks there is something in individuality - difference is good!  She is providing a well thought out and organised show as opposed to a by-the-numbers concert (songs, some fireworks and effects perhaps - job done).  She has an entire show mapped out - choreography, arrangements, video footage, costumes, a storyline perse, and so much more!  If you want the best of Kate Bush live, then I am sure there is probably a tribute act somewhere?!?

Hold on...  Gets journal out - yes, I keep a journal!

We have watched a few films that were from Lovefilm lately, which included...  Well, funnily enough they sent us six DVDs at the same time because of some delivery problems we were having with them not arriving, so they sent six altogether;

A Long Way Down
A Long Way Down - hmm, decent film starring Pierce Brosnan, Toni Colette, Aaron Paul (yes, Jesse from Breaking Bad), and some other people.  A group of people meet on the roof of somewhere in London and make a pact not to commit suicide.  Quite funny in places, and a decent enough film!

Monsters University - It's okay, but not as good as Monsters Inc. of course!

Jack Ryan Shadow Recruit - actually a lot better than I thought it would be!  A decent thriller.  Perhaps the fact that you know the main character will be okay takes away any potential sense of danger though?

This Means War - another film starring Chris Pine (he is Jack Ryan in the previous film), co-starring Tom Hardy (from the could have been better Star Trek Nemesis) and Reece Witherspoon (does she age at all?).  A good enough comedy about two spies who fall for the same woman and try to outdo each other to win the girl!  I kept being reminded of the fabulous Arnold Schwarzenegger film True Lies for some reason while watching this!

American Hu.. - Hold on!
American Hustle - I really enjoyed this film a lot!  We watched it over two sittings in two different days to be honest, but that didn't take away from the fact that it was decent!  All of the acting was great, and the script was clever.  I know my friend John said it was okay, but then it was a film based on truth, so you can't really go too far with something that is based on truth can you?

We are still in the midst of watching The Railway Man, which we initially thought might be boring, but we can't wait to get the last half watched because it is a bloody good film about a guy in 1980 who still has horrific memories of being beaten and tortured in a Japanese prisoner of war camp.  He has a fascination with railways, hence the title, but there is so much more to it.  Colin Firth and Stellan Skarsgard are absolutely incredible in the film.  I do think that Nicole Kidman as the main character's wife is a bit by the numbers though, but even that is good!  Perhaps she gets better in the second half.  We shall see!  I usually like Ms Kidman too - The Others is still a cracking film!

Anyway, there you are - a blog.

Also, lest I forget...

Rest in peace Sir Richard Attenborough.  You were so much - a great actor, director, producer, entrepreneur, and more.  He was an incredible actor in Brighton Rock, The Great Escape, Jurassic Park, Miracle on 34th Street, and I'm All Right Jack.  A great director with Gandhi (seen most of it, but not all and would love to), A Bridge Too Far (cracking film), Young Winston, and Cry Freedom.



Thank you for reading, please take care.

August 30th 2014 (43 years, 9 months, and 4 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment