Sunday, 23 September 2012

It's a new week, it's a new... Yeah, not feeling that good

So here we are then on the turn of a week, it is early Monday morning here in the UK anyway.  I for one am hoping that this week will be a lot better than the one that preceded it!

I suppose there was only one bad thing to be honest, but that was the fact that I no longer have a car.  For someone who likes visiting his family (when I have the time), it is tough because I can't do that now.  This is probably mainly due to the cost and length of travel when it comes to public transport.

Let's face it, nearly two hours to get to Mansfield is appalling when you consider that I can drive it in about half an hour most of the time.  And if I want to visit my family in Shirebrook, that is a whole different kettle of fish that either means two trains (Newark to Worksop, and then Worksop to Shirebrook) or two buses (Newark to Mansfield, and then Mansfield to Shirebrook), which is probably a forty-five minute trip by car.

It is also incredibly expensive to travel, and those forms of transport are few and far between.  In a lot of cases, it is actually cheaper to pay the cost of fuel to drive yourself somewhere than it is to but the tickets.

As a relative outsider, I can't really see the logic in all of this.  I am sure that the government want people to use public transport more now, but have given the system no aid in this hopeful idea.  It is a hopeful idea as well, because without the fund help, then the already low amount of buses and trains in the system depletes, and people are then unable to get anywhere at all, except if they utilise the many taxi firms on offer.  After Friday that is a subject I am not happy with too because I fancied getting a taxi to work on Friday and there were none available until after the time I needed to be starting work.  I then decided to work it to work and added to my damaged blisters - a side-effect of not having a car I guess?

As it is though I have been thinking lately, "do I really need a car just yet?"  Can I make do using the two feet that I have?  The answer I suppose could be a yes, because for the most part I seem to be just working sort of local to myself (admittedly a half hour's walk perhaps, but even still).

As it stands though, I could probably get a sort of cheap car if I wanted to, but I could also quite easily carry on as I am for a little while.  I have seen vehicles, but should I just go for something cheap and keep driving, or should I wait it out and see what I can get later?  As Neil Peart wrote, "Tough times demand tough talk demand tough hearts demand tough songs".  I know the last bit isn't particularly fitting, but I think the song in question is relevant.  We all go through tough times, but we can fight through them with our tough hearts.

Thank you for reading, please take care.

24 September 2012 (41 years, 8 months, and 29 days old).


No comments:

Post a Comment