My how time is flying lately. It doesn't seem so long since I was last driving around like a loony taking Christmas presents to people. But here we are in September, and all of the shops now have displays up where they are suggesting things that you buy people for Christmas, packs of Greeting Cards are out there for anyone to buy if they have run out of all the millions that they bought in packs the previous few years, or who will buy them just because they put all of them away from the previous years, but can't seem to find them.
In my eyes it is still Summer, even though my thoughts have already been looking towards that time and wondering whether I should actually start the shopping now. Money is tight, but would it be tighter then if I leave it all until the end of November or beginning of December?
It is always such a tough thing to decide. I used to have absolutely no qualms about starting in September with a few little things, but then I was buying not because I was necessarily wanting to buy for Christmas, but just because I saw things while I was out and about and found myself seeing something and thinking that someone would like that very much. Then I would buy it, and it would be added to the box wherein presents are left (usually with a post-it attached to remind me who it is for).
Since then though things have changed incredibly. The recession continues, and the government still hasn't realised that if they add one percent to the higher earners' income tax, then it wouldn't be noticed and would sort the problem out a lot quicker. Instead, the government thinks that upping low earners' income tax as well as putting up VAT (and introducing it on items such as food) will solve the problem. How wrong they are! In fact, as an article in the Daily Mail (thank you Aunty Ann x) adequately reported, more people seem to be committing suicide because the financial situation has left them with no other choice. They can't afford to pay everything that needs paying, so they just can't carry on. That is the government's fault, and I am sorry if people think I am being too opinionated in that comment, but they are!
Anyway, as I said, in my mind it is still Summertime, and approaching Autumn (coming very soon if the weather is anything to go by), so I am tempted to wait it out a little longer. However, who knows what I might find while I am doing the rounds shopping wise? I have noticed some great diaries, which are one of my regular presents to people. I used to buy them for so many people, but unfortunately because of the fact that the government are now taking 20% income tax rather than the 10% they used to take, this has depleted my funds incredibly, so I have to be more selective with who I buy presents for, which really does piss me off, because I actually love buying presents for my friends as well as my relations.
Oh hell, as Victor Meldrew would say - "I don't believe it!!!" Damn you corporate Britain, I am talking about that time of the year already!!! You've done it haven't you, we're talking about it, and that is precisely the point. They want us to be talking about it, to be thinking about it. And they have caught me in that trip! Damn it. :(
Here is a link someone sent me that explains this Christmas malarkey so well - Tesco launches Christmas in August.
It's a strange thing really, because yes it makes those who want to stretch the shopping period out realise that it is coming, but it also irritates one hell of a lot of the population. So I suppose I could be really early and just wish you all a very happy Easter, and here's to the next Olympics!
Thank you for reading, and please take care.
September 12 2012 (41 years, 9 months, and 17 days old).
PS - I did think of posting a blog on 9-11, but resisted it because it is a difficult thing to talk about. So many people lost their lives in that appalling event, and so many other people's lives were devastated and changed forever because of the consequences. To all those who have been affected, I can think of nothing to say except to think of the beauty of those you have lost, think of the person they were and not of the event that ended it all. Remember them. To those who caused it and those who planned it, I hope you rot in hell for being the pieces of shit that you are, because people like you don't deserve forgiveness!
No comments:
Post a Comment