Here we are then, or are we?
According to some people, the world was supposed to have ended now. According to some others it's supposed to end on the 20th of December or something like that. What a load of old tosh! For better or worse we will continue to be. Despite everything, we are all here. All except for those poor people at the primary school in Connecticut. That bastard killed all of those children and staff. The reason behind all of that though is something that can only be blamed on one thing, and this is where I am sure some people will disagree with me.
I caught a discussion on BBC Two's Newsnight programme with the interviewer Jeremy Paxman. He was saying that if it wasn't for the Second Amendment in the American Constitution ("the right to keep and bear arms") is at fault. Obviously the American politician he was talking with said that the right wasn't at fault but rather that it was unfortunate that a man who wasn't all there had a gun. That to me is a very cold assessment. The politician also said that there was nothing that could be done about it. Now I will admit that in this country (the UK) there are illegal weapons around, which cause a lot of lethal crimes, but not to that sort of a degree. I think that if the Second Amendment was either removed from the constitution somehow, or Amended, then perhaps this sort of thing could be at least controlled better.
I am almost certain that there are perhaps some of my friends on the "other side of the pond" that will disagree with me, but I will not change this opinion. If guns weren't so freely available, then wouldn't this sort of thing become less of a potential problem. A known mentally unstable person should not have been able to have got hold of a fire arm, and yet the politicians over there say that there is nothing that can be done. Tell that to the families of those 27 people who were killed by that man!
I love America, and will happily admit that in a lot of ways I could happily live there, but the gun crime over there is one thing that scares me about even going over there to visit - not that I could afford to right now of course.
I have just finished watching the latest (and apparently last) Batman film to feature Christian Bale, that was directed by Christopher Nolan. I actually thought it wasn't as good as the first two films in the trilogy if I am being completely honest, but that is just my opinion. There were bits that I did like, but some that I didn't. I liked the last five minutes the best by the way.
I haven't mentioned that film to give a review by the way. I mention it because in that film (and the other two films in the trilogy) there is an awful lot of weaponry in the criminal's hands, where they are killing so many people willy nilly. I know that these films are taken to the nth degree, but it still shows the fact that there is a big thing with this law.
I will also mention in passing while I think about it that there were those people who were killed during the showing of the actual film that I sat down to watch. I hadn't actually realised the significance until this moment. I was watching the film anyway.
I apologise if I have offended anyone with my point of view, but it is just that. In the United Kingdom and in the United States of America there is the freedom of speech, and I have just exercised that right.
Thank you for reading. I am saddened by the loss of those people in that horrific school shooting as well as those who were killed back at that picture house for the film's showing, and offer condolences to all those who were affected by these incidents. I did actually cry when I heard about the school shootings. It is an awful thing.
December 15 2012 (42 years and 20 days old).
No comments:
Post a Comment