Thursday, 27 December 2012

Christmas and New Year/Bah and Humbug

Well here we are then, it is nearly ten to three on Friday the 28th of December 2012.  What can I say?  It's a strange thing this year because most years I really enjoy Christmas time, but this year there is something holding me back.  I think it's the whole work business to be honest with you.  I really don't like the fact that I am working right through the whole Christmas and New Year period without any time off.  My first day off will be Thursday the third of January 2013.  It's not like I can do the whole Christmas thing then is it?  It's bloody over an done with by then!  That plus I am back to work the next day as well, so no chance there to get merry either!

Now I am normally one that tries not to hate people, but I am very steadily beginning to hate the Operations Manager for the company I work for who has given me this rota - idiot!  Yes it is true that I need the money to sort things out.  They want me to sort out a car, but I'd rather make myself debt free first.  It's what I call prioritising.  There is no use having a car if you get into trouble for faulting on bills and become homeless as a consequence.  To be honest, it's the employer's fault anyway, because they cut my hours down so badly that I actually wasn't making enough each month to pay the bills, never mind necessities like food.  Therefore I ended up behind on these things and, when the car did fail the MOT on all of those things, I obviously didn't have the money to pay for repairs because I couldn't even afford to pay the household bills.  The car had to go, there was no choice.  Like I said, it's their fault!

Now some people may say that I should have saved up some money, but when I started with them I actually requested enough hours to just get by.  You can't actually save up then can you?  It was a case of prioritising once again - my real life against my work life.  My time outside of work with the woman that I love is much more important to me than the acquisition of wealth.  Now, my employer's response to that is that work should come before anything else.  That's why he's enjoying a good few weeks away from the company that he owns while those that work for him are at work earning the money that he can enjoy time off with.  That's the way of the world anyway isn't it.  I can't begrudge him that because he is the boss after all.  The comment that work should come first though does seem slightly hypocritical though, and I don't give a crap if he reads that I have just put that.  I will speak my mind no matter what!  Free speech is still a right isn't it?

In years past I can remember being someone who was incredibly enthusiastic about this time of year.  On a site I worked at in Chesterfield for a good number of years, a few of us enjoyed decorating the cabin there so much that it was a wonder you could see anything of the cabin other than the tree, tinsel, baubles, things dangling from the ceiling like paper bells and streamers, Christmas cards up from the site staff to security, a little miniature tree on the desk that had flashing lights, snowmen and Santa Claus attached to the windows, and all of that sort of thing.  I miss that very much.  Me and particularly Stephen who I worked with really enjoyed the decorating and that.  When one year one of the Muslim security guards moaned, we both brought more decorations to work and hence put even more up.  I know that in a way that is wrong, but we really liked Christmas.  In truth it was to hide the fact that we were working, and it was to make us feel better, but it actually did work for us - we did enjoy it and feel better.

As it is I am sat in a cabin, on my own, no Christmas decorations, no tree, and the laptop interferes with the radio signal, so I can't even have the radio on. Typical.  I know, I could go online and listen to the radio online, but I'm not fond of listening to music on laptop speakers.  Actually, in passing, I have a really niggling pet hate that irritates the hell out of me - people that listen to music on their mobile phones as a normal thing. Now I can understand maybe playing a snippet of something on there for some reason or another, but playing many songs or the same song constantly on repeat using a phone just does my head in.  Not only is it impolite and rude, but it sounds awful.  As a musician I do not record music to be listened to in that way.  Why would I spend absolutely hours working on bass parts and things like that if no one was going to hear them?  There is no bass frequency available on those little tinny crappy speakers on phones.  They are mobile phones not bloody hi-fi's!!!

I think that is enough ranting?  I really feel bad talking like that during Christmas time, but what the hey.  As Carl Jung taught, it's good to let it all out "because it frees the soul".  Yeah, it's not freed yet I can assure you.  I will always have peeves, and ranting about it won't change a damn thing!  Bloody psychological mumbo jumbo.  Lennon did all of the "tears for fears" and "primal therapy" thing, but he was still a bitter man who told people when he was pissed off.  It didn't really change him as a person did it.  He's a legend yes, but it didn't change his personality.  Oops, where did that come from?  Sorry.

I'll leave that blog as it is.  It could be interesting to someone.  I'll write another one soon that will make people forget that I ever wrote that? Yeah, I'll do that.

Thank you for reading, please take care.

December 28 2012 (41 years, 1 month, and 2 days old).

PS - Got some bloody great presents though.  That has made me much happier.  Thank you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment