Monday, 23 December 2013

Thoughts about Christmas


Hello, I'm back again!

I am thinking of just seeing where the muse takes me this time from something that the run up to Christmas has brought to mind.

Every single Christmas I think about the fact that I'm reminded of family.  Back when I was a kid the family got together at my grandma and granddad's house for one of those sort of do's where everything was laid out on tables for people to put things onto their own plates - yes, a buffet type of thing.  It must have taken a lot of work looking back now, but I didn't think about that then.  No...  I just couldn't wait to get to the trifle! :-)

All of my grandparents have passed away now, but the memories remain.  In a way I wish these get togethers still happened because now we are all so distant and far from each other, and then it gave us the chance to get together.

Will Ferrell in Elf
If I am being honest I would actually appreciate these things now more than I did back then.  In some ways I haven't changed, but in others I have.

I think I was always someone that very much enjoyed the solitary thing, but now I also enjoy being with others.  I make music on my own sure, but I have an incredible amount of fun working with others.  I know I'm not "the big I am", but I've enjoyed working with people such as members of the bands SWIMMING, Alcohol, Savage, and well everyone I've worked with really.  It is something that I miss, much as I miss the whole recording thing in a studio as well.  It's a sign of the financial times I'm afraid...  Unless you're a politician who gets every single thing paid for but still wants an eleven percent pay rise on top of that.  Sorry, politics - oops. ;-)

Anyway, I think I would get more out of it now than I did back then.  That plus I would still enjoy the trifle :D

Albert Finney in Scrooge
I suppose that what I am trying to say is that Christmas is very different now in a personal way to what it was, but there are still things that stick with me.

I know that I have kept my love of "family movies", which are still shown to this day, but also added to by new films that add to that.  By the latter I mean that the Will Ferrell film Elf is what is called a perennial.  I know people that have problems with it, but the Albert Finney starring musical version of A Christmas Carol is a favourite too, as well as the Patrick Stewart starring version and the wonderful animation of the version that features the voices of such wonderful people as Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins and, I think, Imelda Staunton?  I'm not sure if I'm right with the latter one there, but me and Louise both enjoy it.  I also like The Muppets version, but then I loved The Muppets as a kid anyway.
Patrick Stewart and the amazing
actor Joel Grey in A Christmas Carol

Funnily enough, I talk about that but I still have never seen The Sound Of Music, and I think a few others.  We started watching Elf on Saturday night, but muggins here dropped off and missed virtually everything from ten minutes in to a little after an hour where Peter Dinklage (is that his name?) showed up...  At that point I noticed that my sweetheart had also dropped off and I suggested we forget it and go to bed...

We still need to watch it, which is tricky because I am not off now until Saturday the 28th...  We were thinking of having our Christmas then anyway.  Luckily it's an early finishing shift Friday night, so when I get in at around a quarter past five in the morning I can possibly get a good six hours sleep perhaps depending on the potentially noisy neighbours.

Disney's A Christmas Carol featuring
Jim Carrey and other great voices!
Speaking of noisy neighbours...  Because of these shifts I have suggested to Louise that she go to her parents for "the day".  Now because we live in the centre of town I actually sleep with earplugs in during the day because it's so bloody noisy with everything going on, and I can see Christmas Day itself being very noisy with all those pubs etc.  Because Louise is going out, I will have to sleep without them in because I wouldn't hear my alarm going off.  I am hoping that the neighbours basically bugger off somewhere so I can get a good sleep.

Anyway...  I have thought about the idea of sorting myself out with a nice salad to take to work with me on the Christmas Day night shift.  We will see how that goes because without looking properly, I noticed when I got home today from shopping that one of the items (a bag of baby spinach leaves I think) has Christmas Eve's date on them - tomorrow.  Wonderful.  We will see what they're like on Christmas Day then because it's not like I can go out and fetch a bloody microwave meal as a back up is it?!?

Sorry, Mr Moody there.

Me with my copy of The Puffin
Book of Christmas Poems
Anyway, I'm just going to put the kettle on at work and possibly enjoy a nice mince pie with my mug of tea, with my 'Puffin Book of Christmas Poems', Santa Claus tie (not official, but it's Christmas), and the decorating that I bought and put up.

Take care and, if I don't post again beforehand, I hope that you all enjoy the festive period in some way at least.  I know I will, even if I am at work.

I will most likely be posting again on Christmas Day I guess, but I doubt very much that any of you will be checking out the old internet while you're enjoying time with your families.  To all those security guard friends of mine - it's extra pay guys, we can still watch the stuff on the television that we're not supposed to be doing and walk off the calories in the site patrols.

December 23 2013 (43 years and 27 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment