Thursday, 1 October 2020

Adventures In Podcast Land

 



Hey there everyone, I hope you’re all okay.

So, I got through all of the first batch of shows being recorded, and hopefully did a good job, despite my constant nerves.  I will add that I think I got better as the discussions went on.  

It’s a strange thing in a way, because technically I am talking with people who actually have experience with talking to people. That in itself creates a strange dichotomy where I am both nervous because they are experienced and talking to me as very much a beginner, but yet there is also the comfort in a way that I can rely on that experience and knowledge to enable them to know instinctively what to say and how to ease the situation for me.

Now I know that technically it is my show, but it’s also a show about introducing people to podcasts, in the hope that a connection is made. I don’t expect hundreds or thousands of people to suddenly listen to these shows, but in this day and age podcasts seem to be something that people are getting interested in listening to even more than before, possibly as a comfort in one way, but also as an alternative to what has become a pretty standard and, for the most part, corporate led radio industry. 

I actually believe that there is something for most people in the world of podcasts, and that is from someone who, as 2 Legs co-host Andy Nicholes says, someone who “listens to a lot of podcasts!”  

I will say though that there are still things that need to be made easier, and the chief one that jumps out to me is the whole music rights issue.  If that was less of a minefield, then there could be some really interesting shows out there.

If podcast distributors had an option for covering this, even if that includes a little extra charge to cover a music rights payment, then there could be more interesting shows playing music, and they could be music that radio stations don’t play with their generally chart led playlists.

Personally I’ve loved shows like Bob Dylan Album By Album and Take It Away: The Complete Paul McCartney Archive, where they discuss these artists‘ music, whilst playing clips from the music that they’re talking about. Then there is the show The Strange Brew, where presenter Jason Barnard chats with musicians and writers about their careers, and plays songs from their careers.

These shows are all produced because of the presenters arranging and paying for the use of these songs in their shows, which I would guess isn’t an easy thing to sort out and, to be honest, these people don’t make money from these shows, unlike radio stations, so are paying from their own pockets to promote music for that industry, with nothing coming back to them.


An alternative to this is with something like my friends‘ Paul & Tony produce, where the music they play is mostly independent or unsigned acts, and therein doesn’t require them to pay out for rights.

Personally, I like the idea of having a show that isn’t split up for advertising to be placed, and then I would make money from those advertisers. That breaks up the flow of the programme to my mind, and sometimes the presenters of the shows don’t even let you know they’re going to adverts, and I’ve even had moments in shows where the editors have gone to adverts half way through someone talking, and then returned minutes later with the rest of what they’re saying!

Anyway, that’s seven shows recorded, and others are being arranged, as well as offshoot ideas, and other show formats coming to mind, possibly including “Sam & Marv Talk About Anything” and one I’m presently thinking of that I’ve given the working (but not final) title of The Old Bull Farm Posse, because it would feature my younger brother and his friends that have stayed close friends since they were at Bull Farm school in the nineties!

So, I’ve got the bug for creating more shows, and know that I’ll get better, and I’m thankful to everyone who has taken part, as well as those who have helped and supported me.

Luckily, everyone I’ve talked with in the show is really nice - Robbie from Out Of The Blank, Ben from both Bob Dylan Album By Album & Long Player, Sam from Paul Or Nothing, Jason from Strange Brew, Tom & Andy from 2 Legs, Antony from Glass Onion, and last, but certainly not least, Sean from Reelblend.

There are a number of moments that will stay with me, including the friendships garnered with these people, how grateful they have been (as well as I am to them).

The friendly rapport when I was talking with Sam from Paul Or Nothing, including laughter, and it was exactly the same with Tom & Andy from 2 Legs! Those I think are true friendships, as I have with everyone else, and others I have yet to talk with.

When Sean from Reelblend told me that it always made him smile when he saw that I’d posted up online about listening to their show, and thanked me for being there from episode one, that really meant so much to me!

I’ve already started on the editing of the shows, and have other people already booked to record shows with, as well as others who are getting back to me with dates and times.

Anyway, these shows will be released in the order that they were recorded, so that people can see me hopefully getting more confident and less flummoxed (lol).

Thank you for reading, please take care.

It’s my sweetheart Louise’s birthday today, and I’m not going to say her age, as to me she is the same 21 year old that I fell in love with a, ahem, few years ago! <3

October 1st 2020 (49 years, 10 months, and 5 days old).

No comments:

Post a Comment