Monday, 17 October 2011

Waffle, scoffle, hoffle and boffle

So, how is everybody?  What's been going on with yourselves?  Me, well, same old same old I suppose.  Working, very little play, and all that kind of thing.  You know how it is I'm sure.

At last I got another blog up on the series of blogs I am doing on the "post-Beatles careers of the foursome", a description that I think is more explanatory than the previous one of "ex-Beatles' solo careers", where someone pointed out that Wings and the Plastic Ono Band were technically bands as such.  So because some smart alec said that I have had to look again at what the mission is for the series of blogs.

I have given a lot of thought to that in fact, and have decided that obviously it's still a very far reaching and all-encompassing subject.  I will possibly look at other members of Wings' contributions, but not to such a degree as of course Paul McCartney's songs since I am discussing the careers of the ex-Beatles and not ex-The Moody Blues, ex-Thunderclap Newman/Stone The Crows, and all of that.  We will see, because in all truth their material wasn't featured all that much.

It's an interesting thing to look at what material was worked on through the many websites that I have come across where they discuss such things as songs Denny Laine and Henry McCullough wrote for Wings' second album Red Rose Speedway, which were not used due to record company intervention apparently.  A shame really, since having heard Denny's song I Would Only Smile, I really like the song, and the version featured on Denny's Japanese Tears album is I believe the Wings recording from 1972.  Not completely sure about that, but it sounds like it could have been.

Anyway, enough about that because if you wanted to read more on that then you would have gone to Marv's Musical Ponderings wouldn't you?  It still needs a different title I think.

Work is staying much the same at the moment, with my days off being Tuesday and Wednesday.  That sounds good until you look at the fact that Monday's night shift finishes at 9 in the morning, and then I have to drive back to Newark, park up somewhere (not outside my door since Newark Council don't allow people who live in the centre to park outside where they live between eight in the morning and six in the evening.  That has always been a bugbear of mine, especially since there is a council car park on the street where I live basically, so what would be the problem with disabled people parking there about three yards further from the market place?

With that in mind, obviously I am in bed for much of the day on Tuesday just to get a few hours sleep so I don't feel like an extra from Shaun Of The Dead!  Then Louise is out on a Tuesday anyway, which is probably good at the moment, although that looks like being changed to Wednesday instead, which would be an absolute pain in the arse because it would mean never having a day together!  Sometimes life can treat you like a shit, by treading on you and then wiping you off the bottom of it's shoe.

At the moment though, Wednesday is good, because we get the day together.  This week ahead we're hoping to get some visiting in of my family.  That will be nice, as I miss my family.

This past Sunday (yesterday I suppose) was good because Louise's mum and dad came around for dinner, which we provided!  I know, shock horror.  It was difficult making the room for the table to come out, but they did get to sit at a table while me and Louise sat on the settee to eat.  We had casserole, followed by Chocolate flavoured Bread & Butter Pudding with custard.  It was nice to have some time with them.  It especially helped that Saturday night shift finishes at midnight, and the Sunday shift starts at 9 at night.

Tomorrow then (Tuesday), I will be getting in and then getting to bed around 10 in the morning, and then get Louise to wake me at about 1 after three hours sleep.  The afternoon will then probably be spent doing some recording at home.  I have a couple of bits to add to Maybe I'm Amazed and I need to continue to work on Kreen Akrore, both of which are songs from McCartney's début album so are for the music blog series.

I will see what else I get time for, because I'm not sure if I might take it a little easier tomorrow and not do so much.  I'm looking forward to actually finishing the work on covering Macca's first album, because it'll be nice to have a break for a few weeks from it, before I get on with whatever I decide to do next.  I'm not sure whether that should be Lennon's Plastic Ono Band album, Harrison's All Things Must Pass, Starr's Sentimental Journey (which won't consist of much anyway, other than a review really since all of the songs are covers of standards).  I might on the other hand just continue with Macca's career and get on with Ram. I've not yet decided.  More work would be needed for the others I suppose because at least there is a decent chord songbook for his material, whereas the others are less fortunate in that way.

I do know that doing that blog seems to be getting me back to being a musician and thinking more about music.  In fact in some ways it making me better with some aspects, not least keyboards, which I had been really lazy with before.

Anyway, I have carried on listening to some great podcasts, particularly two that have become my very favourites - Punky Radio and Film Sack.  The former I have spoken about a lot before, where it is my friend's Paul & Tony playing music and chatting about all sorts of things, but they make me laugh every time it has be said.  Laughter is great, especially when I am driving to work and back.  Film Sack on the other hand I don't think I have spoken about much before.  This podcast is one where a group of people watch a film, and then get together to chat about it, basically taking it apart.  These can be films that are classics, duds, and anywhere in between.  Normally it is dictated by something apparently called Netflix, whatever that is!  I'm British, so have no clue whatsoever.

I also carry on reading a fair few blogs, most of which I have mentioned previously, and I try to avoid work as much as possible if I'm being honest.  The more time I can spend at work on my laptop doing very little, so much the better from my perspective.

Of course I am open to people suggesting blogs and podcasts for me to check out, because I am very much a slave to the internet.

I think I'll stop waffling there and get back to, ahem, working.  Thank you for reading and please take care.

October 17 2011 (40 years, 10 months, and 21 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment