Sunday, 30 October 2011

Sunday moaning blues

Hello friends.  How is time treating you?

So here we are again, another ponderous and long night shift, made all the longer and more tedious by a quirk that is irritating me so much.

Last night the clocks changed so I thought "I should get a really decent sleep to catch up."  I thought wrong, so wrong in fact that I will be surprised if I make it through the whole shift without falling asleep, which is something that I have frowned upon in the past.  My opinion is that if someone is paying you to watch over a place overnight, then that is exactly what you should do.

However this may have to be different tonight, and I feel awful to even suggest such a thing, for last night I just couldn't get to sleep.  Too much on my mind I suppose, specifically about money, the looming prospect of Christmas shopping, bills constantly having to be paid, and so many other things that are really not making my mind work any better - paracetamol is definitely my drug of the moment, unlike days ow long gone by in the annals of time (probably for the better).  Even a beer nowadays would be like an alien substance to me.  How on earth people who are unemployed can afford it so much that they walk past at stupid o'clock waking up people who go out to work so they're taxes can pay for these people to get plastered I have absolutely no idea....  See what I did there?

Anyway, at about 3 o'clock (after the clocks were changed), I decided to just get out of bed and take a couple of paracetamol, while I had a read.  I suppose reading isn't such a good idea, but what could I do?  I had Sky news on as well (Louise has been following the Michael Jackson thing on there while I've been away on the night shifts).  The news was mainly about the passing of Sir Jimmy Saville (have to get the Sir in there since it's only right).  Rest in peace Sir James, man of Jim'll Fix It and Top Of The Pops, who thought nothing of smoking a cigar the size of Big Ben in front of a multitude of children, and was never afraid to flaunt that he had money to his name.  Anyway, that was an outrageous thing to say and I should not speak ill of the dead, I apologise.

At about 3.40 in the morning I decided to try and return to bed.  I remember the bells going on the church across the way up until about a quarter to five in the time we're using now (they hadn't changed the time on the church's clock, CD or MP3 based, of course until someone showed up to ring the supposed real bells for the Sunday service).  Boy were they bloody loud, and so were the new neighbours moving more bloody stuff in at 9 in the morning.  That moving in of items carried on until probably after midday.  Typical!

Anyway, because of the restless night I decided to journey to the Greek god of shopping for pillows for the bed, because we needed a new one and I bought a pair because (a) the decent ones always come in pairs, and (b) it would give us a spare just in case another pillow decided to try and stab me in the eye during the night with the sticky out feathers and such - bloody ducks getting back at me, what did I ever do to them I ask you???  Speaking of which, just started listening to the Howard The Duck episode of Filmsack, which is really great and reminds me of how much I thought that film stunk.  So much so that when I was younger and a friend of mine brought it to school on a video to watch (probably a pirated copy I'm guessing), I watched about five minutes and that was enough.  I could quite easily have left and gone to the room where fleas were kept to walk all over your balls, if such a room existed!!!  That is how much I thought that film sucked!  In fact, I'd have probably preferred to have had my balls soaked in honey and then have myself strung naked on a tree with a million beehives on it!

Anyway, losing the plot there I think...  So, the pillows are nice, and I will see how nice when I get to lay my head on one of them at about ten on Monday morning, if the neighbours aren't as noisy as they were today.  And then I have to get up early to find one of these paypoint places, because you can't renew your TV licence at the Post Office any more.  I don't know why I even bother paying for a TV licence, because the channels are all screwy after we had the digital switch over in our area - about three or four times a week for the last however many weeks, I've had to retune the channels because it's lost them all over again, and it's always losing the channels when it's something I want to record for me like The Gadget Show, Alphas, or any of that stuff.

I tell you, I'm not half in ranting and tired as hell mood today.  Oh I never mentioned that when I bought the pair of pillows from the Greek god of shopping, they seemed very flat in the packaging.  I took them back and the assistant said, "they're vacuum packed sir, so when you pierce the pack, they will expand."  At that point I felt tired and incredibly stupid.  I could feel the eyes of the people behind me in the queue looking and hear the voices of those calling names.  I was happy to go home after a trip to Morrison's (other Supermarkets not so available in the centre of Newark for the time being, unless you have a job that pays over 25,000 per year for Waitrose shopping) and enjoy a jammed-up fruit scone with a cup of Tetley.

We then watched Ice Road Truckers Most Dangerous Roads, had lunch, and well, I never did get the nap that I was hoping for.  Boy am I ever ready for Tuesday and Wednesday off.  I think I won't be getting up early on Tuesday like I normally do, although perhaps if I don't I may not wake until Thursday and lose both days off.

Anyway, that is the end of today's epistle.  I hope that you are all okay and not hanging yourself like the person on the Airplane film.

Take care and thank you for reading.

October 30 2011 (40 years, 11 months, and 4 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment