Friday, 16 September 2011

Is it a week already?

Hello everyone.  How are you?  I start this blog today with a question, which is quite a straight forward one - is it really a week since last we spoke?  Time flies and all that.

It has been a different week for me this week.  After the Saturday shift, I was again at Lauren's on the Sunday day shift.  Monday and Tuesday saw me working night shifts for the first time in over a year, which went okay but for being incredibly tired after the first night shift (must have been the waking up at 8 in the morning on the Monday after getting to bed about 2 in the morning on the Saturday night?  The first for me though was that the two shifts on the Monday and Tuesday were both sat in a car watching a site.  Travellers had apparently broken into the site and not only stole items from inside the building, but also from the electrical substation on the site as well, hence there being no available electricity in the building or anywhere on the site for that matter.

I had sort of worked from asking people about the site beforehand that it would be along those lines.  I was not happy to say the least, but because of the fact that I could survive on two shifts, I went along with it.  It wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be.  I borrowed one of the company's vehicle's (wasn't using my own car). and sat there listening to podcasts on my iPod all shift, occasionally going to a site across the way for a warm drink, my dinner, and general chat.  I sort of didn't mind so much.  Got it again three times this coming week :(  Oh well, beggars can't be choosers can they!

Anyway, back to what's been happening this past week.  So Monday I worked the night shift on that site, went to bed Tuesday morning when I got home, and then was woken by Louise going out on Tuesday at about quarter to one in the afternoon (a little less than 6 hours sleep I suppose), where upon I spent that afternoon starting on the song Momma Miss America for the music blog.  I laid down bass and a sort of drum pattern by tapping the guitar again as per usual lately.  Other than that I didn't do much of anything really, before work again that night - 12 hour nights again hey.

Wednesday I got in about half past six in the morning from work, went to bed, and then got up at about half past eleven or so.  The rest of that day was spent doing a few things.  I got a few bits from Morrison's down the street (roll on the opening of Asda, so that we're not stuck for choice on where we do our shopping in Newark).  I also paid off a few things while I was out and we watched Fast & Furious 5, which we really enjoyed.  You have to "stick your head in a jar though" while watching it as Louise says.  If you think about it too much, then you'll be saying throughout, "there's no way that would happen," and the like.  The part with the vault being pulled around by the cars towards the end was one such moment and, in all honesty, I still don't understand the reasoning being all of that.  I don't want to say too much in case you haven't seen it, but there's just something about that part of the film where I was wondering why.

Ooh, forgot to mention that we watched Water For Elephants on Sunday night I think it was, and that was an incredibly good film.  I was surprised by how good a film that was.

On Thursday we got up, got ready, and went to Mansfield.  I was going to fetch some documents from the solicitor's that I wanted the originals of, but when I rang them in the morning to let them know, they said that they were actually logging the items that day and that it would be easier to come some other time, but that there was actually something that did need signing anyway, so we still went to Mansfield.  In truth it was just something to do in Mansfield because our main reason for going was to visit my brother, his wife, and their kids.  I was dropping off some cards and gifts for the twins Luke & Connor, who are 18 today :-)  Happy birthday.  They will find that they have money in with their cards, and I also left some a couple of enormous bottles of Smirnoff Ice for Connor, and some bottles of Bulmers Pear Cider for Luke.

In fact, while we were there, I was informed of how nice Smirnoff Ice was,because not being able to drink a lot of the time I don't really bother to drink that much, but I was intrigued.  On the way home then we stopped off somewhere, and I purchased four small bottles of it and, sure enough, we had some when we got in and it was bloody lovely.  I used to drink Vodka mixes anyway.  I hate to say but sometimes I would drink a Vodka and Coke after a night shift sometimes back before I could drive.

We went to Mansfield then and the first place we went to was the Solicitor's, where I read through the document they wanted signing, and then signed it.  I won't go into details on what that is all about, sorry.  Then we went to check out the B&M store there in Mansfield, which was a first for us.  We left with a few things though, obviously.  We didn't actually get that much time there, which is probably a good thing really.  I would have liked to have gone into HMV, because we don't have any stores in Newark that sell CD's to that sort of a degree.  I admit that I buy items online using Amazon, Ebay, and the likes, but I do enjoy going through shelves of CD's checking out what they have.  There is something really great about that, which just isn't the same using a search engine on a shopping website.  I will go in there next time I'm in Mansfield that's for sure.

Perhaps I didn't want to go into HMV because I was expecting the delivery of the first season of Star Trek's original series on DVD with the newly reworked digital effects that have been placed onto the episodes.  I'm sort of intrigued, but hope that they are okay.  I have been wondering if the use of CGI on the original series will jar with everything else in there.  I'll see shortly as I have brought it with me today in the hope that I can get some viewing in.  I'll be bringing the last two episodes of Gadget Show with me tomorrow to work.

Thursday evening was great spending time with my brother's family.  We all had a great laugh, and it made a change to go out.  I was particularly happy, because I miss my family so much being away from them.  I know that Louise feels the same about her family as well.

Friday Louise was out working at the charity shop nearby, and I paid some more bills off, including finally paying off the debt left from the period of unemployment last year with the rent (yay).  I got my hair cut again, because for some reason it looks better shorter as it gets thinner on top.  That is really strange, but surprisingly true.  I wanted to get Momma Miss America finished but, as is the way, I found that the power adaptor for the keyboard wasn't working and, being Newark, it wasn't possible to find a new power adaptor without travelling to Lincoln or somewhere else - bloody typical!  Couldn't go to anywhere other than Newark due to the Smirnoff Ice I drank at home after getting in from the previously mentioned visiting Thursday evening.  Thus, I am stuck with that song.  I don't own an actual piano as such, but rather an electronic keyboard with piano tones on it.  I'll see what I can do.  In fact, I'll check and see what Argos have when I finish this, and hopefully before the flour delivery shows up here at work on this Saturday day shift at Lauren's again.

Anyway, that's what has happened this week, and well, I think that is a long blog again so I will leave it there.  If I think of more, then I'll just type up another blog for tomorrow and surprise everyone.  I hope that you all have a lovely weekend, and I look forward to seeing where I go with the blog next time.

Thank you for reading.  Please take care.

17 September 2011 (40 years, 9 months, and 22 days old).

No comments:

Post a Comment