Friday, 9 September 2011

A New World Order bonus song 9 - Rise Up Rise Up

Now we come to the final bonus track on the upcoming reissue of A New World Order.  I've actually cheated with this song, but I will be honest and explain that later.

I was just playing around with the guitar, "coming up" with an easy chord structure basically, while I was watching the news on the television.  There was a piece about Robert Mugabe on at the time, and so with that in mind I switched the TV off and wrote this song very quickly, filing it straight away into my big binder with the rest of the songs that I had been working on.  I've lost a lot of those during my last house move, which is a shame in a way because I had over 200 songs in there.

When I went to Bandwagon Studios (RIP) to put down several songs in one session (14 on this day I think), this song got the usual live treatment of vocal, acoustic guitar and harmonica at the same time.  This got messed up though because my harmonica harness loosened during the recording, and I though that I could just overdub everything at a later date, which I never got around to.

So, recently at home, I have cheated by overdubbing another harmonica part over the existing song.  If you listen carefully, then you can hear the original harmonica in there as well during the harmonica solo after the first verse, which is where the harness loosened itself.

I like the song.  It's political for sure, and still very current.  Like a lot from back then it has a feel to it as well, which is hard to achieve if you spend too long on a song.  It's very much a case of just capturing the song in it's bare state.  Some songs work well with a fuller arrangement filled with so much going on, but some songs work better with less going on.  Think about how the first couple of Bob Dylan albums just wouldn't be the same if they weren't as stark as they are.  Those were basically Bob live completely on his own, maybe with a single overdub somewhere to accentuate, but nothing else.  I wasn't purposely going in with that in my mind, but I suppose that I was very much influenced by that without even realising it.

HERE IS THE SONG!

Thank you for reading, and I hope that you enjoy the reissue when it becomes available.

No comments:

Post a Comment