Sunday, 4 September 2011

A New World Order bonus song 8 - Thoughts Of The Nations

Here we have yet another bonus track on the forthcoming reissue of A New World Order.  Trust me, it will materialise.

What can be said about this song then?  Firstly it has a lot of lyrics to it, which in turn makes it seem incredibly long, even though it clocks in at just under four minutes.  I don't actually remember very much about the writing of the song, except that it was very much a stream of conscious thing, with words just being written down as they came to mind.  Essentially it has a throwaway title, because in truth I just thought that the words were very much like a list of things going on, rather than one specific subject, so it became Thoughts Of The Nations.  I chose nations in plural because the subjects spanned the world, rather than just one country.  There's also the fact that it makes more sense and impact if it was universal rather than of just the country or, more to the point, Thoughts Of My Own.

The song was not on the original release essentially because of the fact that it does seem to plod.  There is very little movement in the piece, but adding another section would have made the song longer.  I don't mind the song too much, but even I get a little bored by it after a while and find myself thinking, "a bridge would be nice here and there".

I think I have strung the words together well but, as I said, it would probably benefit from a bridge or a middle eight here and there, just to break from what's going on.  That said, there are a lot of Bob Dylan tunes where he sticks to that one thing throughout the song, and it works in that case.

This is a case however where the basic arrangements that I was using didn't work looking back on it.  This was from the same day that I recorded Slave Song, Ballad Of The Oppressed, Towards The Sun, and all those other tunes.  That said, I do have an idea for the song that I will keep under my hat for now.  What I will say is have a think about the Simon & Garfunkel song Sound Of Silence.  Watch this space.

Thank you for reading, please take care.

HERE IS THE SONG!


No comments:

Post a Comment