Sunday, 18 September 2011

What makes today any different?

Today I'm thinking of something very different, but also something that I am making up as I go along.  I hope that it is of interest to you.

I find it fascinating when I see these posts on Twitter, Facebook, and the like where they will either see "on this day in..." or "happy birthday today to ..." someone or other famous.  It's probably of no interest to some people, but I actually find it interesting that King Tutankhamun's tomb was discovered on November 26 1922, and I was born on November 26 1970.  Like I said, I am just interested in it, it's a sort of "ooh, that's interesting" sort of thing.

Today for instance is the birthday of cyclist Lance Armstrong, actor James Gandolfini (The Soprano's), actress Jada Pinkett Smith (although I can't remember what I've seen her in, was she in a Matrix film?).  Jimmie Rodgers, Frankie Avalon (real name Frances Avellone), and Deedee Ramone (real name Douglas Colvin) were both born on this day as well.  Then there are also Greta Garbo (actress) and Samuel Johnson (author, essayist, etc) who were born on this day as well.

Samuel Johnson has so many quotes, such as "Of all noises, I think music is the least disagreeable", "Integrity without knowledge is weak and useless, and knowledge without integrity is dangerous and dreadful", and "Do not accustom yourself to use big words for little matters." (For more of his quotes check here).


Other events on this day include;
1947USAF (U.S. Air Force) forms
1955Willie Mays hits record tying 9th home run at Ebbets Field (ties Joe Adcock)
1962Rwanda, Burundi, Jamaica and Trinidad admitted (105th-108th) to UN
1973West Germany and East Germany admitted to UN
1977U.S. Voyager I takes 1st space photograph of Earth and Moon together
1980Soyuz 38 carries 2 cosmonauts (1 Cuban) to Salyut 6 space station
1997Seve Ballesteros and Nick Faldo elected to World Golf Hall of Fame (one for my friend Chris there)

The list is absolutely endless.  Unfortunately, rock icon Jimi Hendrix died on this day in 1970.  Like I said, I don't know if it's of that much interest to people, but I find it interesting that these things happened on a specific day.  I haven't given a full list of everything because, to be honest, if I have made you curious in any way, then you can always take a look yourself.  There are some awful things that have happened on this day as well, such as Hitler attempting to order the deportation of Danish Jews in 1943, although he was unsuccessful in this request.
Showing my, erm, more obvious leanings towards science fiction, the Star Trek series Enterprise had the first episode of Season Two aired in the US on this day in 2002.  I wanted to find films and television stuff about today, but couldn't.

The classic song More Than A Feeling by Boston was released on this day in 1976 (yes, 35 years ago today).  All of the members of KISS released solo albums on this day in 1978.  In fact, this date is very important with reference to KISS, because on this day in 1983 they appeared for the first time as a band without the obligatory make-up.  These facts were from this site.

Beatles history though...  Both the singles She Loves You and Help were spending their third week at number one in the UK (1963 and 1965 respectively).  

Feel free to leave any more events that you find interesting about today's date.

Anyway, thank you for the time reading this.  Please take care and I hope that you are having a lovely weekend.

18 September 2011 (40 years, 9 months, and 23 days old).

No comments:

Post a Comment