Here we have another one of my relatively short songs that just seems to have all of the parts in place. Again it is one of those songs that I had to leave aside in favour of other material for the original release, mainly because there was so much of this politically motivated material already there for the set with songs such as Ballad Of The Oppressed, and the likes.
This song does however have the added bit to it that in essence it is talking about myself - the outsider looking in. I had the acoustic guitar out playing, and just seemed to start coming up with the lyrics whilst playing this chord structure. I was lucky back then in that way, because I do see that as luck. Sometimes writing songs can be a lot more laboured than that. It is very rare that you can just come up with a song like that. More often than not you can probably have a good amount of a song, but then you normally have to work the song to get to the finished stage.
Here though it was another case of the song just being there. I won't lie and say that it was easy though, because I am sure looking back that I was sort of sat there thinking, "well, I need this section and that", or something to that effect. I did however write it in one session if memory serves me right. I was also very proud of the song as well.
I think the basic arrangement of the song works, but would possibly be better served by a vocal performance that had more life to it. Even I could do a better job now of singing it and, in honesty, I would probably alter it slightly. But, in another way it sort of works because there's a matter of factness to the vocal that makes it the every man saying, "look, I can see these things happening and it pisses me off. Now what can be done about it?" That is sort of the point essentially, so in that way it does work. The music itself adds to that with it's basic feel and chords, and yet the actual sections themselves with the staggered measures adds to the uncertainty of person speaking.
A nice song that would have been too good to have just left alone without letting people at least hear it.
HERE IS THE SONG!
Thank you for reading, please take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment