Crikey, I hadn't realised how long it had been since I last posted one of those "this is what's going on" blogs.
Over the Friday to Sunday (19-21 August) weekend I found myself on the beer delivery place, where the lorries go to pick up the beer to take here, there and everywhere. A nice and old fashioned gatehouse type of job, with me adding some patrols in. I was going out quite a bit, and even received a call on the site mobile to request access, because I was doing a patrol at the time.
It's strange how I was thinking about my old job at The Avenue in Chesterfield where I was on security. It's not really the same, but similar.
I even had a chance to record my cover version of Don't Worry Be Happy because I just wanted to. I wasn't intending to, but just decided to have a go at it. This I did on Sunday, as well as some cleaning up of Here, There & Everywhere (a beautiful Beatles song from the Revolver album), as well as Winter Rose/Love Awake. I'll have to clean up Subterranean Homesick Blues as well I suppose. I think I'll clean up Don't Worry Be Happy as well, because that is dodgy in a few places. Other songs that I have done for the Recovery project include God Save The Queen, Ain't No Sunshine, Angry Chair, Never Tear Us Apart, and of course Band On The Run (this link isn't the version that will feature on Recovery).
I like the delivery site. It's not like I do nothing on there, but it's just relaxed. If you think about it, 12 hour shifts (or longer in some cases) are not really the sort of thing where you want to be active for the whole time. I have been busy non-stop before on long shifts, but they can tend to be irritating more than anything else.
Monday I was back at the site where I said before that I had made mistakes. Now though I'm more used to it. I like that I am settling into the site, but starting at 5 o'clock in the morning is still pissing me off in a lot of ways. It may not sound it to those not in the know, but a 6 o'clock start would have been much more preferable. I've got up at 4.30 in the morning before plenty of times for jobs. Even getting to sleep for 1030 would give 6 hours sleep. Trying to get to sleep for 930 at night in the centre of Newark (with five pubs within earshot) is nigh on impossible without earplugs.
Whatever I say I still arrive around 4.30 in the morning to site, and then stand in the pitch black between ten to five and six in the morning making sure the correct vehicles go to the correct car park, according to their job with the company I am on the gatehouse for (another gatehouse). It's similar to jobs I have done before. I'm also reading at a rate of knots. The Ozzy Osbourne autobiography was taking an age to get through with the previous job, but now I just sit in the gatehouse reading like no one's business.
Most likely people will be irritated by the fact that I don't know who they are on the sites that I work on, but that's always the way isn't it. It's a little weird being in that position to be honest with you. Not knowing who people are on a site such as this, especially after how long I was on the similar site at Chesterfield.
They have asked me to work an extra but when I said I couldn't they were okay with it. They also are very accommodating with the hours that I want, and apologetic when asking if I can work extra. The big drop in hourly rate is slightly irritating, but sometimes that drop is worth it to get something that I am after. I've come to the realisation that for me personally I need time off as opposed to the finance. It has taken me a long time to find something that seemingly is what I have been looking for, but only for as long as they don't ask me to cover any of the sites that have 16 hour shifts. Those days are over by a long shot.
Thank you for reading, please take care.
28 August 2011 (40 years, 9 months, and 2 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment