Monday, 27 June 2011

Family, Community, and Columbo

In a funny way you can sort of see how people live from what they are like with their shopping habits.  I won't pertain to being that good with body language and behavioural analysis, but obviously when weather is warm, then people shop in droves, to buy items for barbecues and the like.

These barbecues are mainly family gatherings, where everyone gets together, and meets to catch up on what's going on, and basically enjoy everyone's company.

Unfortunately in this day and age we are all in families where they are far apart from each other.  I have heard that families used to be within a street or two from each other, or at the least in the same town or city.  These days though that isn't really feasible.  A shame in a way because that is sort of destroying the idea of a community.  I do vaguely remember that where my grandma and granddad lived on Ilion Street in Mansfield, the whole of the street seemed to get on and helped each other out.  There are pictures on my uncle Clive's Facebook page of a lot of us as kids around a table having a party type thing at a neighbour's house on Ilion Street.  I don't remember it, but I am in the pictures.

I'd like to think that things were better then, because families were stronger, and communities helped each other out.  Now I actually know very little of my family, but intend to keep those strong bonds with the family members I have remained close to, and am hopeful to build on others.

That is sort of what was going to be the blog for today, but "just one more thing..."  To be honest I think that I should quickly make a point of the death of Peter Falk.  I was saddened to hear about it, and have to admit that the first I knew of it was from my friend Drew (who's blogs are great by the way).  I know that he has done more than Columbo in his career, and I have seen him in other things, but that programme will always be remembered and I think is a benchmark (if that's the right word) in the history of television, and it had to be him who played that character.  Not that any of them will know I'm writing this, but I offer my condolences to Mr Falk's family.  He seemed like a great man, and they should be proud of him.

Thank you for reading.  Please take care.

27 June 2011 (40 years, 7 months, and 1 day old).

No comments:

Post a Comment