Sunday I went to the christening of one of Louise’s family members, which was a lovely thing. Well, I say christening, but it being Church of England they called it a Child Baptism. It’s the same sort of thing really. The songs were all dreary in terms of melody, and I felt like they could have been mashed up because they were so similar. Like the same tune with different words – think He’s So Fine and My Sweet Lord.
Monday was a day off, with me sort of in limbo between one job finishing and another one starting. The new job said they would give me that day off. Louise started her new job that day, and we both got up at about half past seven.
It was my pay day, so I had already been out and paid some bills by the time I walked Louise almost to work. Both of us now working seemingly close to home – me a five minute drive away, and Louise a five minute walk away.
When I had said goodbye to Louise I went back to the market where I purchased a DVD documentary about The Moody Blues and a Motley Crue CD. The latter was of the Dr Feelgood album, and unbeknownst to him it was Matt Blick’s fault because his Beatles Songwriting Academy blog had been talking about the song I Want You (She’s So Heavy), which made me remember how Motley Crue had sort of based an ending to one of their songs on that album on a riff from this Beatles song, but I wasn’t sure which Motley Crue song it was. I’d owned the album on vinyl before, having bought it on the day of release, but I sold off my vinyl years ago unfortunately, probably to buy guitar strings or something. I put the CD on while I pottered around, and the song in question was Slice Of Your Pie.
The guitar came out as well because I had been messing around earlier while Louise was getting ready, and during that time I came up with a chord progression that I liked. A lot!
Not only did I finish that off, but also added two more sections to it, and then recorded a rough demo of it. I’m very happy with it, although I have no lyrics for it just yet.
After Louise got back, she sorted a load of washing out for me to take to the launderette, because the washing machine has given up the ghost. We will get a new one either this week or next week.
I sat there for a little over half an hour while the washing was being done, at last carrying on with reading my Ozzy Osbourne autobiography, that I had started ages ago (I’ll get onto one of the books my Uncle Clive has sent me to read afterwards).
After putting the washing out on airers at home to dry, we went and did the weekly shopping trip.
Tuesday I got to the new employer’s office at 9.30 in the morning, as they would be taking me to sites I would be on apparently. Essentially it seemed like four positions on the same site. Personally I would work them as teams, but I don’t write rota’s do I. It is Newark though, so not too bad.
Despite the fact that all four posts are 24 hour cover, there are three very different start times. I would make them all the same start and finish times, and possibly rotate duties, but that’s me.
I was done for about ten past two, and walked from the site back to my employer’s office – less than thirty seconds. I had been given my shifts for the week, which include an ungodly five in the morning start. Whoever came up with that idea wants shooting. Nice for the night worker, but not so for the day shift!
I got back home for half past two and put the kettle on. I made me and Louise a cuppa, as she finished work at two and I expected her back soon, which she was. We went out shortly after and bumped into our neighbour, who after chatting suggested we use her washing machine for the time being. A lovely offer, which we took advantage of later on.
While we were out I got two films out from Blockbuster, which were Source Code and Ice Age 3. We watched Source Code that night, which is a fantastic film by the way. That’s a case of two for two then for filmmaker Duncan Jones. I loved his previous film Moon as well.
Wednesday say Louise going to work again, during which I recorded another cover version for my Recovery project, and I virtually completed Subterranean Homesick Blues, which I’m glad of. I may redo some vocal parts, but musically it’s there I think (albeit with some cleaning up required where I have done some punching in).
That night we had a great salad with a jacket potato and a spinach and ricotta quiche, followed by a naughty rice pudding.
We watched Ice Age 3, as well as the extras, which meant getting to bed after 11 at night, which isn't good when you're getting up at half past three the next morning.
Thank you for reading, please take care.
20 August 2011 (40 years, 8 months, and 25 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment