Thursday, 11 August 2011

A New World Order bonus song 4 - Underdog

Underdog is another of those songs of mine about slavery and oppression.  It is also a song that I like very much.  I don't even understand why I never put it onto the set originally.  Perhaps it was just a case of two different things?

Firstly there is a problem with the harmonica where the harness had moved, because it is a live recording after all.  The other is that I got the line wrong at the end - "One day the underdog, one day it ends", where it was meant to be "no longer the underdog, one day it ends".  Now though listening with fresh ears, I actually think that the line works better that is there.

I like the song very much, and find the melody very effective.  There is always the possibility that with a serious subject like this that you could go over the top, where this way it's just getting the message across, and I think the lyrics are terrific.

Sometimes there are very rare occasions where you just write something and you can surprise yourself.  This is definitely one of those moments.  I was just picking up the guitar playing, and the lyrics were coming, so I kept putting it down, writing it out (including chords) and carrying on like that.

Suddenly as I would have put the guitar down to write normally, the bridge with music and lyrics came out, and that was it.  I thought it was such a powerful part with the words and the music, and I knew there would have to be an instrumental bit after the bridge, because of the whole meaning of those lines in the bridge.

Then of course I wrote the last verse and the chorusy bit (I suppose it's a refrain really, but there it is).  The whole thing of where the verses go, the bridge, and everything was from that original writing session.

Performed live, it has a strength to it that I think a full production may have destroyed.  A beautiful song in my opinion.

HERE IS THE SONG!

Thank you for reading, please take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment