Tuesday, 23 August 2011

A New World Order bonus song 5 - Sorry

Excuse me if this blog doesn't seem so organised as previous one's about the A New World Order songs, but I seem to have lost my notes.

As I have said before I have been thinking of writing a musical about a black family over the years and using that to look at how things have changed with respect to people's opinions on race.  Here I imagined a couple who had split up, where he had an affair and she was working in the fields for all hours.  They had 9 children together,  and their relationship had obviously broken down.  Now years later he's thinking about things, how things could have been different, and actually at the end comes to the realisation that there is still some spark there, but the feelings between them are so fraught with the passage of time, bitterness, and everything that it would be almost inconceivable to do anything about it.  As he says, "the blood boils within me when I look upon you."  There is still a hint of bitterness there and anger that gets in the way.

It is completely fictional, but I am really proud of the words to this.  I think it is a very complete lyric, telling the story well, and unusually for me it keeps the momentum, whereas I quite often lose the plot when writing lyrics sometimes.

It was a quick song to write.  Back then I wasn't working, so when I wrote the words down I could immediately go upstairs and fetch my guitar to put music to it (I lived in a flat above a shop on Leeming Lane in Mansfield/Mansfield Woodhouse at the time, where there was an upstairs in the attic as well).  I'm very proud of the music as well, where the rhythm of the playing, the choice of chords (I can't remember them off hand surprisingly), the basic melody, and everything is just there.

The instrumentation is good as well, with the live vocal, acoustic guitar and harmonica getting the emotion of the piece over.  Initially not included on A New World Order, again I thought it would be interesting to record it again sometime for a follow-up, but I didn't get around to it.  I think that the song is far too good to not be heard, so I have included it on here as a bonus so that people can hear it whenever they like, because it is a great song in my opinion.  I can still see it being sung in a musical as well if I'm being honest, and that musical idea still interests me.


Thank you for reading, please take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment