Thursday, 25 August 2011

A New World Order bonus song 6 - The Political Prisoner

Here we are again.  I yet again have to make up this blog from the top of my head because I haven't got the note book with me that I had pre-written this blog in.

The Political Prisoner is a very different song.  Despite how it may sound, it was actually written in one session.  I'm very proud of the song, particularly with what there is in just a little over 2 minutes.  The story is obviously complete fiction, because I have never been a political prisoner, but obviously I have heard of people being imprisoned for political crimes in countries, and I have also seen a fair few films that were based in prisons, including Midnight Express.  I was just coming up with something on the spot, but am guessing that all of these things probably shaped my creativity.

Surprisingly, the music and words were actually written at the same time, with guitar in hand and making the words up on the spot.  I just mess around on the guitar a lot and come up with chord progressions on the spot (much like a lot of people I suppose), and sometimes one sticks.  This was one that stuck so much that I wrote the song immediately.  The verse music came first, and then when I wanted a chorus type thing I did take a little time messing around trying to find out what it should be.  The words to the chorus actually did come before the music itself, because as I was singing the verse and went into what would be the chorus, the words just seemed to be there.  So, I just wrote the first chorus down, and then played around trying to work out what the chords should be according to the melody notes that I had in mind (well, harmony as well actually, because I did have some "aah" harmonies in my head as well while writing, which was helpful in some ways).


It just seemed right to me for there be an extended chorus type thing at the end, and I think a very fitting end to the story.  I was very much in the zone creatively at the time.  Arrangement wise it is very much in keeping with the way I recorded then, with basic live acoustic guitar and vocal, with nothing else (bar some reverb of course).  The reason this wasn't included on A New World Order originally was actually because I intended to do it again, but as a fully produced piece featuring choir style backing, marching drums.  When the One Day set comes out, take a listen to Spinning The Wheel and you'll get an idea of where I'm coming from music wise.

As it happened, I never did get around to recording a full production version of this song, but feel that it is wasted if I just left it to gather digital dust from not being out there for people to hear.

HERE IS THE SONG!

Thank you for reading, please take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment