Here I am at work when I suppose that I shouldn't be, but who would they get to relieve the relief staff hey? I know there are women out there who will speak of man flu and the likes, but I wouldn't even feign that. I had a sore throat (with headache) that started during Thursday, was then joined by a cough and phlegm, and was added to then by a runny nose and cold/sore limbs.
I eventually gathered enough on Saturday night/Sunday morning to control the coughing and that some time after two in the morning, until I woke up at about 4.45, and then again at about half past six when I woke up coughing and just couldn't stop. I was getting up for work work at around 8 anyway, so I just decided that it was useless going back to bed where I would probably just keep Louise awake.
Work is sort of a necessity when you get no money for sickness, so even if I had a limb falling off, I couldn't afford to take the time off.
So here I am then like a comedy sketch sounding similar to Ned from South Park, and very very tempted to say "think out the numbers"! :-)
Every time I talk it hurts more, and the fact that I am store security makes it even more difficult as I can't even shout "STOP!" I know, as I said, it's just like a sketch in a comedy show.
Sorry, paused for a coughing fit at work at this point of writing the blog out. I suppose I could start a pandemic or something?
So during my two days off (Friday and Saturday), I had the niggly throat and all of that going on. I didn't let that get in the way though. I think of the Knight from Monty Python when I think of my illness - "it's only a flesh wound," when his arm has been lopped off.
At the beginning of my shift on Thursday I was okay, but by the end it was hurting to talk. It was really that quick - within a nine-hour shift.
I was ratty admittedly with Louise was asking me to get some shopping bits after work, especially as the store I was in had run out of everything on the list so I had to stop off at Asda in Hykeham (on the cusp between North and South Hykeham). Anyway, I got the icing sugar and flowery cake decorations and got home eventually, where as soon as I started talking it was obvious how painful speech was.
Louise then decorated fifty buns, which were to sell on Friday at a charity shop in honour of the Royal Wedding between William and "Kate", or Catherine as she is now supposed to be named. Like people are going to stop calling her Kate?
Anyway, Friday I wasn't feeling great and was pissed off that I could do little more than whisper, so even a Johnny Cash style vocal was out of the question. Worst luck as that would be cool on Rising Storm and Down The Line.
As it happened, Louise was watching the Royal Wedding before going to work at the charity shop, which gave me the idea of putting down some music for my take on God Save The Queen by the Sex Pistols, which I did later on in the afternoon while Louise was out.
I also walked with Louise to the charity shop with the cakes, felt bad spending £10 on three CD's from the flea market, which included David Bowie's Hunky Dory. Louise doesn't like much of his non-80's output, but I'm sure my iPod will do.
Anyway, that's part one of this story. Part two will be in the next blog.
Thank you for reading, please take care.
3 May 2011 (40 years, 5 months, and 7 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment