I am really enjoying the podcasts that people have turned me onto lately. It's well know that I love Punky Radio, with all the humour, chat, and great variety of music that they play. I've also listened to the great, and on occasion incomprehensible and surreal, chat in Total Talk Nonsense.
My friend Robert Howie put me onto a great podcast that I think is available for a limited time, and that's the John Lennon Rolling Stone interview from 1970, which is in five parts.
It's an interview that has a lot of information in it and, as a fan of The Beatles, is very difficult listening at times. I'm guessing that the whole interview wasn't published back then, especially considering the amount of language included.
The opinions he comes out with are completely open and, I can see that The Beatles couldn't have carried on anyway. If nothing else, their tastes in music had become so different that it wouldn't have worked.
I do wonder if John Lennon's tastes and opinions had changed over the years after this and, had he been played back the tape of the 1970 interview, what would his reaction have been in 1980 or even now?
I think that George Harrison's All Things Must Pass album would have made an astounding single disc album, along with great B-side potentials for single releases.
The McCartney album is something that took me a long time to get used to, but my personal opinion on that is that Ram (the follow-up) was better.
I haven't heard the Ringo albums that John talks about in the interview, so can't form an opinion of my own - I think he's on about Sentimental Journey and Beaucoups Of Blues?
I'm also not sure if I agree with the opinion that all great art is about the artist. I'm not saying that I write great artistic songs, but not everything I write is self-referential.
I'm waiting for my good friend Luke Hymas to do another of his fantastic podcasts on the paranormal, magical, and out there! His blogs by the way are never ever without interest.
My friend and fellow Project Marv contributor (and Punky Radio Presenter with Paul B Edwards) Tony Hearn put me onto It's A Frog's Life, which is a very laid back and music filled podcast that I really enjoyed. I am definitely going to get more episodes of this great show, and am thinking of getting some tunes to him as well. ;-)
Anyway, needless to say that my driving to and from different work places is now more interesting, but more podcast suggestions are definitely needed.
I did used to enjoy You Might Regret It with Drew Baxter and Andy Dobb (another Project Marv contributor), but that no longer seems to be happening for some reason... I don't know why.
Thank you for reading. Please take care and have a lovely weekend.
28 May 2011 (40 years, 6 months, and 2 days old)
Thanks for the shout out Marv and good post, i haven't listened to punky in a while either, might have to get some on itunes.
ReplyDelete