This is so weird. I've written this today while I've been at work. It's about a band I was in, but not for an very long time. I want to write more about Shadowplay/Jewel, and I promise that I will do. After all, Shadowplay completely changed everything for me, and especially the friendship with Mac (Paul McLaughlin). Everything to do with playing music really started with him.
So, here comes the story of Cornerstone that I wrote today. Before I start though I am friends with someone called Matt Jones now that works with my brother Mark. He is a different Matt Jones to the one mentioned here. Here goes...
So, the music thing then. The music course with the West Notts college did me the world of good with music. Back then the height of computer music editing software was through midi cables and Cubase sequencing/editing software. Matt Jones loved it, as did I end up doing. I'd go around to Matt's place, and we'd be up until all hours in a room that he had soundproofed, and we'd also borrow one of the 4-track recorders from the course we were on, and we recorded tons of stuff.
I had an Atari ST along with a copy of cubase, and I bought a little yamaha keyboard that was midi compatible. It was tiny, but then shortly thereafter I got a really big Casio keyboard that I still have now.
Both of us were absolutely hooked on home recording, and on Cubase. Matt was especially gifted, and he also owned a great sound module. It was a joy to work with him, and to hear what he'd been working on. Then he'd work on my stuff as well. It was a great collaboration. I like working with other people very much. I suppose my ideas need reining in a little and maybe some editing at times.
The project/band that we had together was called Cornerstone. It was Matt's choice of name I think. I don't fully remember his whole reason for the name, but I felt that it suited the music very well. In essence we took ideas musically from all genres and just wrote what we liked. That was quite cool in principle, but really never actually came to fruition completely. We basically wrote genre specific songs, but each one we wrote could be a soul tune, a rock song, and maybe jazz in the case of Dreamstate #1. That song specifically was a means for me to show off on the bass because it was all based around that. I still hear that tune in my head now that I'm thinking about it after what must be 14 years. That is the sign of a good song, that it is memorable. It must be at my aunt's in Shirebrook where all my CD's and stuff is.
Sorry, getting really nostalgic now. I'm holding back a tear at how much I loved recording it. Ben on drums, Matt's guitars, me and Matt on percussion, me and Ray on keyboards, and me on bass. I think it was recorded by Craig and Ray actually. I'm not completely sure. Would be great to hear from all those guys.
Cornerstone then went to the core of myself and Matt. Weird writing all of this about a band that lasted for probably 6 months if that. It's just the first time I've thought of this in years. We must have recorded 40 to 50 songs between us in that time though.
Matt decided to take it live by getting his social worker to join on percussion and, as I found out later, an addict friend on drums. I arranged our one and only live performance - it was a shambles, as Paul McLaughlin would attest to.
It started with the drummer turning up without any cymbals whatsoever, including hi-hats. Matt said, "it'll be all right." I was dubious, but he said the three of them would go and get the cymbals.
Time passed and the engineer was pushing, as well as the Landlord. I went up and soundchecked every individual instrument and microphone.
Initially we were due on at 8, but the other three didn't show until about 8.45 after three hours. No cymbals or hi-hat. Matt just said, "we've had some great shit. E's, a few joints, and a bit of coke." I was absolutely pissed off. I thought the songs sounded wrong without the keyboards anyway, but whatever. Shame really as it was an interesting setlist that include a good number of originals (Come My Way, Trying To Break Me, Lose Control, Down The Line, In The Summertime Again, Sunshine, I'll Be Waiting For You, and a few more), and about eight covers including Billie Jean (Michael Jackson) and A Million Miles (Keziah Jones).
Mac (Paul McLaughlin) saved the gig slightly by doing me a favour and joining us for a few songs including Foxy Lady, Nobody Knows (Tony Rich), and my song Trying To Break Me.
After this Matt went into Millbrook in Mansfield, and was given medication that he kept forgetting to take for a form of schizophrenia. I'm sorry to say that I was fed up after a while, and I just never saw him again. It got difficult going around to his with him believing that people were trying to get into the flat he'd moved to and where trying to kill him. There were all sorts of these things going on in his head, and his personality was scary. I think it was a mix of the drugs he used, and his past that he just hinted at. He was born in an African state (don't know which), and he said that most of his family were killed there, and he came over here and changed his name. I don't know what his name was before then, but I think that can't have helped. A very sad story. I do worry what he might have done to himself since I just forgot about him. Sort of a regret that I let him go, but it was difficult. I do miss him in some ways, but c'est la vie.
Actually come to think about it, I think Cornerstone only lasted for about four months maybe, I'm not really sure now - memory problems. After that four months I went round to Matt's to try and support his coming off drugs and that, but I was unforgiving about all the problems, and then he kept forgetting the medication and fell back to the drugs and hallucinations and stuff. Very difficult.
Anyway, there we are. Don't know why I wrote all of that, but I suppose it's interesting. Also and incredibly long blog too.
Let's see what I ramble on about next time.
Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.
Marv - 4th February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 9 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment