Friday, 11 February 2011

Movie Memories

I saw a lot of films at the cinema as a kid, and in teenage years.  I really do love films, which my DVD collection obviously proves.  There are absolutely tons of them, and so many of them are films that I remember from then.

At Broughton House School someone had a pirate copy of Star Wars (A New Hope as it's called now - bloody later and lesser trilogy).  It was great.  I'd never seen anything like it before.  Even the fact that there was a video machine at the school was like a wow factor.  Back then they were so expensive, and very few working class people could afford one.  We only had a telly at home because mum worked like crazy in the factory at Pleasley Mills.  Mum apparently worked crazy hours.

I got obsessed with Star Wars, so much so that me and another lad there learnt the dialogue and re-enacted it at school in play times.

I saw Return Of The Jedi before The Empire Strikes Back I think.  Return Of The Jedi I saw at Nottingham in the cinema (can't remember the cinema's name, it was nearly 30 years ago after all).

I saw Crocodile Dundee at a cinema in Shrewsbury I think, when I was at a school near there.  More of that later.  I saw Short Circuit there as well.

I saw other films at the cinema as well, such as every Bond film since For Your Eyes Only, plus ET, Ghostbusters, Gremlins, and more.

I just about remember going to see the first Superman film, but I was incredibly young at that time.  RIP Christopher Reeve - you were Superman.

Oh, just thought... I saw a film when I was a kid and it was called Condorman, which I've been looking for on disc but can't find.  I liked that film, but I'll probably think it's awful now.  I like watching stuff like that, because it takes me back.  I remember it starred Michael Crawford (of all people) playing a comic book writer who decided to become his own creation Condorman, who had an outfit that allowed him to fly.  He also had a sports car that came from a little rickety lorry and, well a lot of gadgets.

I wasn't actually that bothered about ET in some ways.  Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film, but not all that it's hailed as.  Maybe it's just me that thinks that?  My brother Richard took me to see that.  He also took me to see First Blood I think (when I was too young as well).  So many memories about films.

I pointed out in an earlier blog about the Buck Rogers series, but to be honest I was too young (and naive) to have the feelings mentioned - that I can see looking back since.  However, I may have still known nothing about sex and stuff, but I did think that Carrie Fisher was beautiful in Return Of The Jedi (the outfit and that were wasted at that time on me, but at a later age I obviously saw what people were on about).  Yes, I was slow like I said. :(

I saw Alien as a kid, and that was amazing.  I like Aliens and Alien3 as well, but am not struck on Alien Resurrection, and haven't seen any of the AVP films, despite the fact that I love Predator with Arnold Schwarzenegger - all films I have to watch without Louise.

I think I've rabbited on enough now, so I'll sign out.  That was proper rambling big style.

Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.

Marv - 11th February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 16 days old)

1 comment:

  1. Founf it on amazon :-)

    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Condorman-DVD-Michael-Crawford/dp/B000FS99BS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297869684&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete