Hi, here we are again with yet another one of my blogs where I waffle on about stuff, get things off my chest, reminisce, and basically put what I like in here. I'm not sure I could do the whole one subject thing every day forever, although come to think of it, I think that I could probably do a blog where I talk about one subject specifically, but not each and every day. Hmm, I'll have to think about that one - nice idea. Not telling you, because you might nick it off me, and that's my fortune for pete's sake!!!
I apologise to all of my friends named Pete or any variation thereof, it's just a phrase I'm going through ;-)
It's funny really how the internet and all of that seems to have such a hold on every aspect of life. Back in the late 70's as a young 'un, I don't think anyone could have foreseen such a change in so short a time, except for those who wrote sci-fi future based shows, films, and books, where they tended to maybe go too far with their expectations.
Even relatively recent films such as the Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes film Demolition Man, there were some writers who just didn't get it right. Even before the whole "in the future" thing, they had a cryogenic prison where people would be frozen for so long and have their brain rehabilitated basically, and they had semi-futuristic gear as well. That was supposed to be 1996 Los Angeles... Hello, we're in 2011, and we are nowhere near that advanced... yet! Still a damn good film though :D
I know that it's weird me talking like this about the hold that the internet has on people, what with me being on Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, and doing this blog (and thinking of doing another maybe). However, what I am talking about is how in a lot of ways the internet stuff seems to take precedence in the lives of people over everything else. I used to use it in some ways at work to relieve boredomwhere I'd play the games on Facebook, etc, and happily chat with people (which I do miss). Now though I have a job that doesn't allow me use my laptop, so I have less time to be on, and I rarely use it home when I'm with Louise anyway because, well, we don't get much time together anyway.
That is a case of prioritising really. I still go on the social networking thing and all of that, but for the most part it's just to stay in touch with people because of not being able to see them due to work and all of that. Obviously I've already said what's going to happen with the work thing - I'm going to get a different job.
I think in some ways that we've lost something with this networking thing, which is actual real in-person contact. I don't see too much of a problem with the social networking thing (I'd be an hypocrite if I said otherwise), but that is to a point. We should still have the in-person thing, because I think that's healthier than the whole internet thing.
When I was a young 'un as I mentioned, we had board games and stuff that groups played together in person, rather than 'virtual versions' of the games that we can play online. We would play Monopoly, Scrabble, Cluedo, Kerplunk, Frustration, Mouse Trap (I still don't understand that game really, it's sort of pointless), and all of those other games. Playing those games as a group together in a room, not on computers, allowed actual real interaction rather than the less interesting virtual interaction.
I know that talking like this will probably make me seem like an old fart, but really all I am saying is this - The computer is a fantastic invention that can be incredibly helpful, fun, and so many others things. However, we should not let it stop us from enjoying what is out there, or from spending time with people in person. I don't see the problem with just sitting down with people and enjoying their company without everything else getting in the way of it. In fact, and this will get me some feedback I'm sure, instead of watching a programme on TV, that's what a recorder is for. You can gain so much from sharing time with people and finding who someone really is, and not what their avatar and the details on a networking site tell you about them.
Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.
Marv - 19th February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 24 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment