I was going to come back on yesterday evening and do a catch-up type blog thing, but I thought better of it. There's nothing wrong with just mentioning it now in today's blog as a sort of, ooh I did this yesterday sort of thing.
Moving to Newark has been both a positive and a negative. When we first came to Newark there was a sense of nostalgia for me in a lot of ways. There are a lot of people who don't know much about my history, mainly because it's who we are now that counts really, but to speak of history sort of adds context to all of these things.
When I was younger I was sent away to schools for boys who were basically very very naughty. I'd hit teachers, mouth at everyone, and had an incredibly bad temper. I can't tell much more, as I have a terrible memory and can't remember very much of it.
The first school of this kind that I got sent to was called Broughton House School in Brant Broughton, Lincolnshire (LN5 0SL - some things just seem to stay in your memory don't they). To get there and back home, I used to travel through Newark and, as kids, a lot of us at the school used to come to Newark with the school to the children's library which is now a barbers on the market place (the same one where I get my hair cut in the same area where a lot of used to just go and sit down to read things. I'd probably take out a Mrs Pepperpot book, a Narnia story, or something, but be sat there enthralled by the Old Possum's Book Of Practical Cats by TS Eliot or The Cat In The Hat, and I absolutely loved poetry from a young age. Even at the age of 10, which I was when I started there (10 years and nearly three months old), I already had a love of literature.
Anyway, I'm sort of getting carried away here. Before we moved in together, me and Louise had a falling out over something when we'd been into Mansfield. I dropped Louise off where she lived at the time in Boughton, and then I just drove off knowing I was going somewhere but I wasn't sure where. I'd actually intended on a walk around Rufford Park if truth be told, but I missed the turn and thought fuck it.
I ended up going down the A614 is it (?), and just parked up at the Cattle Market car park, paid for a few hours (not sure really how long), and got out and just walked.
While I was walking I started to feel nostalgic, remembering me and Dave Cooper at the bus station trying to see how far we could spit using the lines in the tiles on the ground as markers (I know, disgusting hey, but we were kids). I remembered smoking there and buying cigarettes (been stopped 6 years now I think), and on the market place I looked over to where I expected to see the library we went in as kids, and saw a barbers shop.
Now, I've been to Newark many times over the years, but never before had I been so flooded with all of these feelings. It was very enticing to me. As I've said, my memory is absolutely shit, and I think that's a mixture of things that happened in the school I went to after this, and maybe some, ahem, non-prescribed variety of medications that I used.
I carried on walking around and saw some estate agents windows. Obviously, since me and Louise were talking about moving in together, I was drawn to the prices and thought, "yeah, I think we could do this."
While I was there I switched my phone back on to find missed calls and texts from people. That was nice, including from Louise. I contacted her, saying where I was, and asked what she thought of moving to Newark. She liked the idea saying she had wanted to before, but was unsure if I would want to move there.
So, that's sort of how we ended up here. Since moving here, the people I've found on Facebook that went to Broughton House, and the whole thing with trying to get us all to meet up has built up. That has been added recently by my meeting Robert Sumner and Russell Parker over the last few days from there, and we have all started to build those friendships again I think. That is nice.
There is a music scene in Newark that I need to check out, but I really miss the scene in Mansfield and the surrounding area, and all of the friends I have there. I also miss my family so much, it's difficult finding the time to visit, and the fuel is getting ever more expensive (thank you Mr Cameron, you bastard).
I did buy the Scala Regina gypsy organ yesterday at Trent Music, which is where I met up with Russell again for the first time in 26 years. Bloody hell, 26 years hey.
Over the last few days I've been reminded of so many things, and it's great in a way to have those memories brought back, because it can help to show you why you are the person that you are now. Okay so I hate my job, who doesn't? Who thought 26 years ago that they would be who and where they are now? I certainly didn't. Some of you weren't alive then. I don't mind my age really either. I'm actually proud to be still alive at this time, and I am in a relationship with a wonderful lady that loves me.
I'll carry on with recording soon, and get those songs onto i-tunes to sell them if anyone wants to buy them. It's up to them. Music gives me pleasure, and that's the main thing really.
This stream of conscious thing isn't too bad is it?
Off soon for a fortnight and can't bloody wait. Was already contacted last night by work to ask if I could do an extra on Friday, so I said yes. The money would come in handy anyway. It's difficult getting money together, especially since fuel is so bloody expensive to get to and from work. I'm selling a telly, DVD player, Video Recorder, Sky box, and a set top box to get some fuel money. At least I've paid off debts that were caused by the redundancy last July now. That is a weight off my mind, but I've still got to try and get my money sorted because I hate living to the last penny, and would prefer something there for emergencies.
Anyway, here's to a nice day I hope. Catch you all next time, I won't say when because I'm just too bloody lazy.
Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.
Marv - 1st February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 6 days old)
No comments:
Post a Comment