Saturday, 26 February 2011

Continuing info on recording session and musings

Hi all.  How is everybody?  I hope you're having a nice weekend.

I'm still listening to the fruits of yesterday's session, which is still without a title damn it.  There are choruses (sort of), but each one has different lyrics.  Always a tricky situation that.  I also feel weird listen to my own song like this as well, which probably sounds strange.  It's strange listening to yourself singing in some ways, and not something that I've always been comfortable with.  There probably are some people who like listening to themselves, but I'm definitely not one of those.

I have a wah guitar part I want to add to the verses, and I'd like to add some guitar licks into the middle section - not a solo as such, but just runs and things.  I'm purposely stopping myself from posting it up on myspace, because I want it to be a complete surprise to people, although saying that there are two people who have heard it so far other than myself and Rob.  It has started something in me though, because I have started writing riffs again in a very big way, which I haven't done so much for years.  So, after the One Day set comes out, expect the set after that to have a lot of rock and metal influences, or I may even do it as a different project - I'd love to have a full rock band to be honest.  I've been getting very nostalgic, and coming up with riffs and licks always gave me such a buzz.

Oh, is that the time?  Bloody hell, I've been here for a couple of hours and have only typed this much up?  I keep getting sidetracked.  The internet is a bad thing for me to get stuck on.  I've gone all this time without a drink as well.

Ooh, I've just heard the chord change on the chorus - awesome, three times of B, A, E, F#, E, A, and then the fourth run is the same except the E, A at the end altered to C#m to D - try it yourself and you'll see how nice that sounds.  Took ages to get the vocal right for that change, especially since I double track my voice most of the time.

I've started reading another blog today, which I think could be very interesting, especially to musicians and in particular guitarists.  It's by Laurence Juber, who is a fantastic guitarist.  He was guitarist for the last incarnation of Wings, and has since gone on to be an amazing jazz guitarist - Matt Blick would love him, but don't let that put you off.  He's amazing, without being like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and that sort of thing.  Not that I'm putting them down because I have their music in my collection and enjoy it, but they can be a bit too showy for some people, whereas Laurence Juber (and others like John Scofield and the ilk).

Anyway, I'll leave this as a very short blog for me, and get on.  It is the weekend.  Have a lovely one everybody.

Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.

Marv - 26th February 2011 (40 years, and 3 months old)

No comments:

Post a Comment