Wednesday, 2 February 2011

A musical interlude

So another day has gone by and the world is still here as we know it, despite anything that the current government in the UK is doing to change all of that with the shitty financial situation.  I think I'll leave that where it is.  I don't think I should delve into my political opinions, even though I've written plenty of songs about them.  Actually, I will probably end up venting about the government sometime in the future, after all these are my ramblings.

Yesterday I was working at Loughborough, near Leicester, and I sort of had an idea of something to talk about.  Firstly, though there is some other stuff I think I should put on here...

For those of you who are thinking of carrying on reading this blog, I will try and include some recording details when I've been to the recording studio, and will offer sort of reviews of things that I've seen, listened to, or whatever.  It's really sort of just somewhere for me to get things off my chest, and in some ways I hope that my family can keep up to date with me, because I miss them the most.

Anyway, that's that sorted.  I got back so late from work last night, as ever, and this place is just too small for my liking, because I can't actually go anywhere to get my instruments out while me and Louise are together.  She already thinks that I spend far too much time on the laptop, so I think playing instruments is a little much for her to cope with.

I am however looking forward to getting the Scala Regina out as soon as I have some time to myself, and really playing it and trying to work out what it is sonically.  It will be fun, that's for sure.  I know that I'm thinking of posting some video footage up soon on youtube of some stuff, and that may be one of them.  I'll look into how I can get links or something to that footage up on this blog.  For now though, I will enjoy listening to music, as I always do.

Everyone knows that my love of music is widespread.  I probably have some music that I really shouldn't like,  but what the hey.  We all get inspired in lots of ways.  I've always collected music in whatever form was available.  I used to collect vinyl like no ones business, but then CD's came out.  I wish in some ways that I hadn't got rid of all my vinyl.  I also wish that I could get my hands on my CD collection, but at the moment that is being stored at my auntie's in Shirebrook (thank you x).

So, music then...

I know that both my mum and dad liked the music of The Beatles, and the offshoot solo careers from that.  That's really where my love of them comes from I believe.  My mum and stepdad (miss you) loved the music of Queen, which is a family wide thing anyway.  We all seem to like the music of Queen, so many great tunes that aren't stuck to one genre.

I remember music from the late 70's early 80's sort of vaguely really.  I remember being at the Marina Fish Bar in Pleasley as a kid where they used to have an area at the back with music playing and there was a pool table as well I believe, not completely sure on everything here - my crap memory again.  However, in there they played all sorts of modern greats (at the time they were modern) such as Blondie, Adam & The Ants, and other things like that.

I remember the youth club at the church up the street from where the Fish Bar was at the corner.  Went there around Christmas once for sure, because they were playing Christmas songs.  Mum worked in the welfare or social down the road from there as well I believe and, well, Pleasley has a lot of memories good and bad...

Probably end up talking about those in more detail some time, who knows.

I think I was introduced to the music of Gary Numan, The Specials, Madness, and others by my brothers Richard and Mark.  As I said, always loved music of every style.

I remember the radio at Chesterfield road having music such as The Three Degrees, and other funky dance music on, which is probably how my love of funky bass lines comes from - hence eventually loving the Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

Anyway, this leads nicely to something I was thinking about yesterday while I was at work.  I wrote something down actually to include in the blog, and here it is...

Songs to listen to if you haven't heard them before or for so long.  Phantom Of The Opera by Iron Maiden from the Iron Maiden album.  Before someone played it to me I had already heard the music sort of, as it was the background to some advert or something back then with Daley Thompson in it or, well whatever, getting away from what I wrote yesterday there.  In fact, the whole Iron Maiden album is awesome, and Paul DiAnno's voice is great throughout.  I remember hearing the whole song for the first time at Broughton House, and it was an amazing experience.  I heard it within days of starting at the school I think, and both me and David Cooper had never heard it before (at that point me and David Cooper were both in the same room with Mark Trump I think his name was, and Wayne Lawler - the way the bedrooms where changed often).  Both of us loved it, and it changed our tastes and lives.

Back to stream of conscious blogging again - It was my first experience of heavy music to be honest, and I loved it.  I didn't lose my enjoyment of other music, and since then I have constantly kept an open mind to music, and have a wide taste.  From there, David really got into music in a big way.  He introduced me to the music of KISS, Van Halen, Dio, Black Sabbath (first time I heard Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - DAMN), and then things like Pink Floyd as well.

Anyway, I'm waffling here and have suddenly realised that I must get on as I'm at work soon.  Had a terrible sleep last night.  Louise isn't feeling well at the moment, and I had a headache that felt like a volcano erupting.

That's a shorter blog than I originally intended, but needs must when I've already been told off before for lateness, and they have me on an extended probationary period because of my lateness.  I don't know what they expect.  I'm driving all over the bloody place in a car without a stereo, so how am I supposed to know if I'm going to run into accidents, or roadworks, or anything like that.  Whatever, only doing it because I was offered nothing else.

Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.

Marv - 2nd February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 7 days old)

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, looking at it that is incredibly long. Probably a good thing I stopped there.

    ReplyDelete