Monday, 7 February 2011

A mixed up blog, structured in part

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." - Author Unknown


I thought I'd start the blog today with a good quote.  What this quote says to me is that life is there to be lived, and that means to sometimes take risks but, and I must stress this, I don't think that should be at the expense of others.  Sometimes when we do things, we can be unthoughtful and not think of those people that we love.  Living is good, but so long as you gain and don't lose something in the process.  I hope that makes sense.


I thought that I'd see how a more structured blog would work just this once.  Don't get too used to it though, as it's back to normal service tomorrow where I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.


I like the idea of maybe chucking in some quick reviews if anyone wants to contact me with any suggestions. That could be cool.


Now that I've joined the blogging world, maybe a few years too late, there are others that I like very much.  When I get the time.


I've been enjoying my friend Paul B Edward's blog, where he talks about what he's been up to and his thoughts.  Another is my friend Matt Blick's blog on Beatles songs, which is insightful, inspirational, and, well, I love The Beatles anyway as everybody knows.  Even if you're not a fan of them, this blog has some fascinating ideas in that we could all learn from.  If anyone has any other blogs they think I should check out, then please let me know.  I will definitely check them out.


I love the Punky Radio podcast as well, which everyone who checks out my Facebook or Twitter account would know.  It's full of naughty words and such, but that just makes it better and really fun listening, along with the great music of course.


So, I did promise didn't I... Shadowplay the band, part one.


I was still going to church at this time.  I say this as if it were a regret or something, which it wasn't really.  I made some great acquaintances and friends there, and in some ways it helped me become more centred and controlled.  People there helped me through a lot of darkness that was within me.


Anyway, Shadowplay then.  I'd always been so interested in music, and even tried to learn guitar and drums at Broughton House School, both of which didn't come to much.  Shame because Mr Sargent, who played guitar, was cool to me.  He has a great collection of original 1960's Beatles Monthly magazines, a gorgeous Martin dreadnought acoustic guitar, and a cracking knowledge of chords and melody now that I look back at it.  I've just thought that for the first time ever.


Once again, I'm coming off the point.  So much for structure from me hey.


I thought people who played instruments were cool, and people who write songs more so.  I had already been trying to write lyrics for many years, even at the age of eleven I sent a set of lyrics to Paul McCartney at the MPL offices, along with a letter signed "Martin Robert Quibell, aged eleven."  Aw, how sweet hey.  I got a postcard back with a picture of Paul McCartney (weird, Band On The Run playing on work's system now), written by George Martin saying how well I had written words and to keep writing because Paul liked them.


That postcard went on my wall at home next to the poster from the Wings album Venus & Mars.  My step-dad came in one day, tore them all down, threw them in the bin, and said "don't put things up on the wall!"  Sorry but I've never forgotten that - one of my most valued possessions of all time.  


Coming away from what I've written now, but that's just made me think of the actual postcard.  I remember it was a picture of Paul sat down writing at a coffee table or something, with a pen in his hand I think.  It was a black and white picture, and I just looked for it online and can't find it.


Actually, I think I'll leave it with the Shadowplay thing there now come to think of it.  I could carry on with the rest of what I had written tomorrow.  I promise that I will carry on tomorrow with the first part of the story of Shadowplay, and in fact I may even put some photo's on there.


Sorry to everyone who expected more, but there is a lot of information ready to be put down, and I think it might be better to do as a separate blog.


I've been wondering about this blog and everything lately, and I'm really happy about how it's reminding me of so many things and making me remember these things.  This is just a means of me going on about absolutely anything that comes to mind, and at the moment I've been having some time with people from my past that have been helping me loads.  Friends from when I was younger, who are now my friends again.


Anyway, catch you all again next time.



Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.


Marv - 7th February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 12 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment