I've already written the next part of the Shadowplay story, but thought it might be good to take a break from that for a bit. Saying that though, I'm off for a fortnight next week, and the first week Louise has the same week off, so there will probably not be such long blogs then. Bet that will make people happy to have more time, lol.
I don't remember very much of my childhood before Broughton House, just images and stuff. In some ways it would be nice to have gaps filled in, but I'm not sure if anyone would fill them in for me. Shame because I would have liked to remember times with my relatives at the Christmas get-togethers at Grandma & Granddad Mountney's on Ilion Street, and I have absolutely no recollection of being in Germany except for a Morris Minor for some reason, and Sesame Street?
I remember there being blackouts in the seventies, which is why I remember the song Power Cut from the medley on the Wings album Red Rose Speedway - an album that is unfairly dismissed, despite the incredible My Love, Little Lamb Dragonfly, Get On The Right Thing (an outtake from the Ram sessions I hear), and Single Pigeon (a simple and basic song, but touching - almost like a lullaby).
I remember visits to where dad lived in a flat in Nottingham after he and mum had split up. Photo's were taken there, including ones by me where I missed their heads or something. I was only about 7 I think. I took a photo of a grey squirrel in a tree outside that flat as well, but it takes a while to make it out.
Dad took us around Nottingham Castle when we went there once I believe. There weren't too many photos back then, which is a shame. There is one of Richard sat in an armchair with his drumsticks. He was playing snare for the marching band The Carabineers I think they were called. Mark played kazoo, strangley an instrument I have but can't for the life of me get a noise out of - disappointed with that to be honest, especially since Jimi Hendrix played one in Crosstown Traffic - great song alert!!!
Do you know what? I'm wondering if I should really be using a blog to write all of my memories out? It;s a bit late to think that now though. Don't worry, I'll be moaning again in no time I think, and just going on about basically nothing.
Hey, Matt has a link on his Beatles blog to Nicholas Tozier's page on song-writing. Another great blog that is full of inspiring ideas, and interesting views on music and song-writing particularly.
My friend Luke Hymas has an interesting podcast about magic, science, and weird freaky stuff that is interesting and strange both at the same time. ;-)
I've been listening to a lot of rock and metal from my younger days lately such as the first two Iron Maiden albums, Animalize by KISS, Gary Moore's Victims Of The Future (RIP), Led Zeppelin IV, and many more. It's been great, and has sort of helped in a way with reminiscing.
I remember some singles I bought in my younger days now - Bark At The Moon by Ozzy Osbourne with the fantastic One Up The B-Side on the B-Side, Take It Away by Paul McCartney, Crazy Crazy Nights by KISS, Radio Ga Ga by Queen, and loads more. Wow, vinyl, miss you :( Wish I'd not got rid of those albums and singles and things.
I've replaced a lot with CD's, but they're not the same at all. Don't even get me started on MP3's. I thought singles were more value for money when thought was put in, and you got songs on the flip side (the B-Side) that you wouldn't find anywhere else. If The Beatles were around now, would we have the brilliant Rain, which was a B-Side? Actually back then (before my time even), some singles were songs that you couldn't get on an album. It's all different now.
There was something tangible about records. The cover, the disc itself, and everything. So much effort was made of every single aspect. The music was worked on to the best it could be, occasionally overly so in some ways, but much the same as today really. The cover art, text, and everything was also worked on a sweated over.
I know there was the so talked about cover for Sgt Pepper, whose story has probably been told so many times already, but there were some other great covers inspired by that, most famously Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention's We're Only In It For The Money. Actually, I see the front picture on the Wings album Band On The Run as a sort of inspired by as well, with it's cast of famous people huddled together. And Ringo's own Ringo album front cover is so very inspired by it (actually a good album too).
The cover to Electric Ladyland by Jimi Hendrix is legendary. Other fantastic covers include everything by Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin IV, Dark Side Of The Moon and, well the list goes on. Let me know more if you want, I'm happy to oblige and chat.
Ooh, before I forget... Other good classic covers include London Calling by The Clash, Kings Of The Wild Frontier by Adam & The Ants, and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John.
Here was me thinking I'd be stuck for something to talk about.
Anyway, I think I'll leave that blog there.
Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.
Marv - 9th February 2011 (40 years, 2 months, and 14 days old)
I'm not keen on mp3 either. And I'm not keen on my camera only doing jpeg pictures as both are compressed file formats and therefore miss information out.
ReplyDeleteI still buy vinyl from vinyltap.co.uk as many of the old songs I'm after are so obscure that they've never been released on CD or are likely to be. If you listen to vinyl and then the same song on a CD or mp3 the vinyl sounds better (ignoring the dust & surface noise of course)because it's an analogue recording ie. the sound as it is. Whereas anything digital is sampled so can't ever be 100% the same sound. It can though, be near enough as matters.
I'm the same with books as well, give me a physical book rather than a Kindle or iPad any day. Books are friendly.
By the way, I don't think I've ever had a favourite album cover.
Thank you :-)
DeleteHow things have changed in the just under three years since I posted this. Now vinyl is available in shops again and the format of choice for a lot of people. Amazing.