Monday, 14 March 2011

Name games

Another blog I wrote the other day;

Here we are then, being influenced by another blog.  Well, nicking from it really.

My friend Drew was talking about famous people with the name Richard, or variants thereof like Dick, Ricky, etc.  Now for some reason I'm at work thinking of people with colours in their surnames.

Now before I get cracking on this, I will say that me and Louise have been known to play word games with song titles, film titles, names and such, so Drew's blog was obviously very interesting to both of us.

If truth be told it sort of goes with games played before consoles and computers, etc.  Battleships after all used to be played on paper, apparently.  I'm not sure how, but it was.  I remember playing what we called Animal Vegetable Mineral as kids, where you had a list of headings at the top such as Film Star, etc, and then picked a letter and had to name one for each starting with that letter.  If there were ever any different to someone else's answer, then they would be scored higher.  Yes, we spent ages playing that game.

Anyway, I'm thinking about famous people with colours in their names then...

Of course there's the legendary godfather of soul James Brown, who's name is shared with a famous hairdresser so I hear.  I wouldn't know, I get mine graded because otherwise I look like Coco The Clown with the bald spots and everything.

The snooker player Jimmy White of course, but I don't watch that any more because it's boring apparently.

That brings me onto Cilla Black, which is weird because her real name is Priscilla White, so why isn't she Cilla White then?  What's the name change all about?

If we stayed on the surname Brown, then we could include Gordon Brown, and I don't know why I'm mentioning a fictional character, but therein lies Leroy Brown.

Elvis's bass player was the incredible Bill Black, who's white (see what I did there - colour) double bass was bought by Linda McCartney as a present to her husband Paul McCartney.

Nothing to do with colours in a name, but a drummer in Wings (who Paul McCartney was in) was Joe English who was an American and not English.  That's just weird, like being called Daniel Australian and coming from Russia.  Sorry, went off somewhere else then.

Thinking that way, would Christopher Plummer make a good fruit picker with that surname?  Did any of the Taylor's in Duran Duran ever think of changing their surnames because they got sick of being asked if they were related?

Sorry, tangents again.

Now, you're either fascinated and enjoying this blog with the name play, or bored stiff.  Hopefully not the latter because I'm obviously having fun with it.  I'll tell you what...  Let's see if anyone gets back to me with more famous people with colours in their name.  People that is, not bands or we could have Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Blue, etc, etc...

Been there, done that.


Take care. Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.

Marv - 14th March 2011 (40 years, 3 months, and 16 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment