Monday, 21 March 2011

On the way to work today

I stopped off in Mansfield on the way to work so I could at last pay what I owe for the recording session I had on February 25th. I parked up at Wilko's, paying a pound rather than the 90 pence because I didn't have the correct change, and it obviously wouldn't give any change either.

They must be on a steal with that, because it's even printed on the board - NO CHANGE GIVEN! I can't be the only one who's been caught out by that one, and I won't be the last.

Because I was in a rush I went down Regent St, across to Lloyds TSB to get money from the ATM, and then up Leeming St, over the crossing to The Old Library where I went upstairs and paid what I owed.

It was nice to see Joff and Andy Dawson, although for some reason I was back to my old shy self. I always find it difficult around Andy in a way because I'm sort of in awe of him as a musician.  I think Joff is an amazing musician as well, and I suggest that people check out the music of SWIMMING to see what I mean.

Oh, when did the actual library close and move to where the electric board was?

After that I went to the car and drove to work, which is where I am now.

What was really difficult was to just see what has become of that little bit of Mansfield that I saw - shops and pubs are closed.  A sorry state that the world is in maybe, but I am from Mansfield and now only occasionally get to visit there since moving to Newark, so it hurt in a way to see it like that.

I don't know what the answer is to changing the situation, but I am sure that rising costs can't be helping the matter.  I hate to sound morbid, but I can easily see the end of town centres, replaced by retail parks with only big conglomerates, who will push out everyone, which so far has included stalwarts like Woolworths, C&A, MFI, and who knows which will be next.

What chance has anyone else?

Anyway (in faux television news journalist style), Martin Quibell, security guard, for a big conglomerate.

I hope I haven't bored you.  Take care.

21 March 2011 (40 years, 3 months, and 23 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment