Sunday, 6 March 2011

Thoughts for a Sunday

Time passed by
Friendships lost and gained
Some that are gone
I wish had remained

I'm not sure if I will ever use those words other than in this blog, but I was just thinking about how through the passage of time there are always things that we lose in life.  I've lost contact with people in my life, even my family.  I know that we used to get together years ago once a year, but that time has now gone.  We are all over the place now.  In every family there are problems as well that cause splintering.  It's a shame really, because you'd like everyone to get on, but it doesn't seem to be that way.  I don't think that my family are any different really to anyone else's.

There are friends who I have lost over the years as well, but I seem to be reacquainting myself with some of them through Facebook and other such sites on the internet, which is really good.  It's really weird though meeting people after such a long period of time, they have had lives.  The phrase "catching up" barely scrapes the surface when it comes to it.

There are still people who I would like to meet again, but who I think I won't.  Who knows?  This world is so strange that, as Rush say, "anything can happen."

It could be the fact that I am 40, but it's a weird thing.  I don't feel like I am that age, and I so want to do things that when I was younger looking at people the age I am now I thought there was something sort of wrong, especially people that I knew personally as well.

It's also strange that I seem to be getting so nostalgic now.  I could quite happily return to the rock band I was in during the late 90's, and I would so enjoy even getting new material together.  That not at all possible though, as we are all miles away from each other.  Yet we are still friends.  I love Paul and Andy, and everyone else from that era too, but I look on Paul & Andy differently.  It's one of those things that I just can't explain.  We'd probably fight like hell over things again like we did then, but then doesn't every band?

Here I am writing this blog in two different places and times.  the first was in Mansfield Woodhouse on Friday, and the second in my home town of Newark on the Saturday.  Both while at work.

Actually, I think I'll finish this one off soon.  I really want some suggestions for blogs and podcasts to check out.  I am following Drew's blog, which I really love.  I find it really interesting, and sometimes it reminds me of where I am from, and how I miss Mansfield in some ways.

I will bring to everyone's attention that an even on the last Saturday in March is being held at the Intake Club in Mansfield, where there is a day of music.  It is to publicise the scary position there is with venues for bands and artists to play in.  A lot of these places are being changed to non-playing venues, when there need to be places like this to catch local and upcoming bands.  This is the sort of place where most of the top acts cut their performing teeth.  Even the X-Factor winner Matt Cardle did pub gigs before being on the show.  Bands like U2, The Rolling Stones, Queen, The Beatles, the list goes on.  The reality shows and svengali types making up girlgroups and boybands just make up one side of the musical spectrum, making it one-dimensional.  There are many sides to music, and each benefits from the others in some way.

I think I'll leave this there for now.  Thank you for reading my stream of nonsense.  Take care of yourselves and have a nice Sunday.  I will be at work, probably writing more bloggage, and reading the Ozzy Osbourne autobiography.


Thank you for reading, I hope it wasn't too boring.

Marv - 6th March 2011 (40 years,  3 months, and 8 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment