Played with a capo, the song is once again a case of free-form writing, where I just put down what came into my head at the time of writing. Song written in less than five minutes.When I was thinking of fireflies themselves, I was really thinking of the cartoony types that glow and have cheeky smiling faces and... okay, you get the picture.
It's really about getting something out of darkness. In despair lies potential to get past it. Well, that's what everything in it is about, except for the third verse about buskers, which spoils the song in my opinion. The rest of it is really good I think.The melody, chords and feel absolutely push this song all of the way home. I really did feel bad about not including this in the set originally and, in fact, I had the same quandary when putting the songs together for the follow-up set Colours. I wanted something from this period in there to break from the produced sound and it was either this or Hypocrites, and the latter won out.
It's rare that I used a capo back then. In fact, I don't think I've used one for a few years now either, so that's given me an idea. Here though, I just thought that I would try it and see what happens, and I was so pleased with the results, especially with the surprising rise in the last chorus, where I do a Beatles trick by throwing in a quick key change and then back to the proper key. Beautiful.HERE IS THE SONG!
Thank you for reading, please take care.
No comments:
Post a Comment