Sunday, 3 July 2011

A New World Order song 7 - What Can He Do?

What Can He Do is a case of writing something that was very much of it's time.  With the Shadowplay line-up, me and Paul McLaughlin wrote a song called What Can I Do, and this is basically that song with different words.  I knew that Paul was in the army and I just started imagining him in Iraq for some reason, and then I thought about what was going on in Iraq at that time.

I was sort of trying to let Paul know that I was thinking about him at the time.  Despite the fact that we were no longer in a band together, I still got on with him and wondered how he was.  Spookily I wrote the lyrics before they discovered Saddam Hussein in a hole in the ground, so when they did it was very strange to me.

It was recorded in the same single day session as Slave Song and eleven other songs.  Bloody quick work that day because I'd practised for ages.  Basically it was live acoustic guitar and vocal on the first recording, and then I overdubbed the tin whistle solo, which was surprisingly made up on the spot.  I think the simplicity of the arrangement works.

Thank you for reading, please take care.

HERE IS THE SONG!

2 July 2011 (40 years, 7 months, and 6 days old)

No comments:

Post a Comment